Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size is the front axle on '07 Nightrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
blackness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size is the front axle on '07 Nightrain?

I just scored a front wheel from an '03Fatboy on ebay that is going to be customized and put on my '07 Nightrain. I know theFatboy front wheel has 3/4" bearings, and I also know my 'train front axle is larger than that. At first I assumedI had a 1" axle but when I looked on ebay to buy 1" wheel bearings all the ones I found said '00 to '06. I have no accurate way to measure my axle and I kinda remember reading somewhere about a 25mm axle used in some bikes. Does anyone know for sure what bearings I need to put in the fatboy wheel to fit on the front of my bike?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default RE: What size is the front axle on '07 Nightrain?

25mm

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 AM
T_Rob666
Banned

The front and rear is 1"...I just went through all that myself.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
blackness
Cruiser

See the above posts, that is the conflicting onfo I keep getting. lol

The first reply is from a site sponsor that is in the business so he should know, but on the other hand the second reply is from a guy that actually has the same bike as me that has been there on his bike.

Couldt-robs bike be different than mine since he is/was in Germany? Was his bike bought there?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
T_Rob666
Banned

First of all, my bike is an American spec HD that was shipped over here from the US...it's just like yours.

Second, 25mm is 1 inch.

You need to buy 25mm/1 inch bearings to make that wheel fit.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
blackness
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: T_Rob666

Second, 25mm is 1 inch.

You need to buy 25mm/1 inch bearings to make that wheel fit.
Well, 25mm is NOT exactly 1 inch, 25mm is .984 inches. I knew it was close but I figured the bearings would need to be an exact fit on the axle. If yours is OK I'm going for it... Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Your bike is a 07 Nightrain. In 07 HD switched over the softails to 25mm. They also went to (some Softail models like the rear of a standard & fat boy) a 17" wheel. Correct? I was at Harley when this change was made. I make inverted front forks and I was going to make all of my axles 25mm the same an import (Jap) bikes.

I purchased a box of 25 mm to convert over my Carbon Fiber wheels I manufacture to these new expected change which is happening as 07 on up (Softails) and 08 FL's, all have 25mm axles.

These bearings are 52mm but thiner than the 1" bearings. If you are converting over from another model & not replacing as in this case, a longer outer wheel spacer(s)are needed due to the thinner 25mm bearings (on a side note & for other useless information I am providing). The inner wheel axle bushing remains the same length (The spacer design length are:Front wheel 121.92 mm(+0.1, 0)

Instead of asking a guy like me who could be full of crap, why do you not just call a Harley dealer and get the right answer ?
[ul][*]You may get a PN for example for a 2002 through 2007 FL which has a 1" axle of HD P/N 9247.[*]The 2008 FL's changed to a 25mm bearring & axle whose HD P/N is 9276.[*]When I double checked my warped mind and several thousand dollars worth of bearrings for your 2007 Nighttrain, I came up with a HD P/N of 9276. That is 25mm.[*]Next time you might elimate misinformation from a guy like me and just ask Harley. It would be safer and less expensive if I make a mistake. [/ul]

Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

when you are at HD and purchasing your bearings, you might wish to purchase a 25mm inner axle spacer as the 1" will be aprox 16 thousands too large and not slip-fit onto the axle like it was designed. Please double check me just in case I am wrong.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/D0504AF70B3A4710824864A8B92AFFA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 PM
blackness
Cruiser

I hope you guys dont think Iam being a D!*K. I come to these forums in hopes of gettingREAL info from REAL enthusiasts who enjoy customizing their own bikes (the same as me) and who collectivelypossess a vast pool of knowledge not readily available at the dealers near me.

Istarted my search for answers at my local Harley shop and asked them the same questions I asked here. The answer they gave me was "I don't know for sure what you need so you tell me what to order for you, oh and by the way,they haveto be prepaid and ifthey won't workwe can'ttake them back because they are special order".WTF? That is why I came here...

I guess I'm just gonna order stock bearings and the inner spacer for my bike and see if they fit the Fatboy wheel and hope my stock outer spacers work with that setup.Anyone knowifI can get that stuff aftermarket to try to save some money?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Call Phil Petersons HD. Ask the P/N's
[align=center]Peterson's Harley-Davidson of Miami
19400 NW 2nd Ave. Miami FL 33169
Phone: 305-651-4811 Toll Free Phone: 1-800-545-2561
[/align]of the bike you own. The counter help does not know the difference unless you get a young kid who drives a Buell (parts counter). I brought down a set of calipers about a year ago in answer to this very question, made him pull the parts, made this kid measure the bearings, asked him if he understood, than made him look up all the bikes those bearings fit.

When I first started riding, all of the parts guys knew the part #'s off of their head & knew what you could make work. blackness, now it is your turn to find out for yourself. The next time, you can help someone else when asked because if you are interested, you will know the answer. If you do not know the answer, find out or the world would know you do not know what you are talking about which is worse than not knowing.

Your question: Anyone knowifI can get that stuff aftermarket to try to save some money?

Ans: The 25mm stuff is not redaly available like the 1" stuff where you can buy it at places like JP cycle etc.

We make our own but since I prefer the thicker 1" bearings (better constructed and double shielded instead of single like the 25mm) so I make my hollow alloy axles a slip fit 1" & will always convert over.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/0EF6A3E3D18840FD8A95E4044FA8DBEC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: What size is the front axle on '07 Nightrain?