Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Pics of my Heritage.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/191519-pics-of-my-heritage.html)

romigula 02-04-2008 02:53 PM

RE: Pics of my Heritage....

I love what you've done with it. Looks a lot cleaner without the bags. The Heritage was one of my first choices when buying a new bike. But a friend of mine stopped over with his Dyna and I just loved the feeling of that smaller front end. So I decided to go with the Custom Softail. The Heritage looked too similar to the previous bike I owned. Check out my photo album with the baby on it, and you'll see what I mean. I was in need of a change. With all that said...I still love the Heritage and of course my Custom.

lionsqrne 02-04-2008 03:41 PM

I know exactly what you mean. For me it was the same only in reverse. I had a standard and a springer both with a 21 inch front end... For me I was wanting a fatter front end but a bike with alot more versatility. Always liked a Heritage.

tcartwr332 02-04-2008 04:16 PM

nice pics....what bars are those....mini apes ???

lionsqrne 02-04-2008 04:34 PM

12 1/2 wild one chubbies.

Night Stalker 02-04-2008 05:26 PM

Lion,
I am SERIOUSLY thinking of adding the 12.5" Chubby's to my Heritage... love the look of myscoot when it is strippeddown! What length cables did you go with? I am guessing you need throttle, idle, brake, & clutch cables to add those bars on. Also an extended wiring kit... anything else? Where did you get the wiring kit from, or did you have the Stealership do it? What about cables? Any suggestions on a good company? I want to get the silver ones, like you have installed. What do you have? Thanks in advance for the info. And sorry about the 1,000 questions!

lionsqrne 02-04-2008 09:00 PM

Night,

I don't remember the lengths of the cables.. I will certainly measure them for you though. I do know they were +4 over the stock cable length. The bars on the Heritage are 8 1/2. I measured the stock cables and then added 4 inches. They fit perfectly.

You will really like the Wild ones. I am 6'1" and they fit me great. No fatigue when I ride. I also lowered my Heritage an inch in the rear.

The cables are diamondbacks from Harley. Yes, you will need to replace all the cables.

I also had to get the wire extension kit thru the dealer. I don't remember what it cost for sure but I am thinking around 30 dollars. I know some here have listed a wire extension kit thru someone else for less but I don't know who that is. I also bought some shrink tubing from napa.

I did all the work myself... well... two buddies showed up one night and we finished it out. I used the stock risers and riser clamp. You will also want to get the poly bushings and replace the stock bushings. The bars won't move around and feel mushy. They are around 35 dollars.

I ran all the wiring thru the bars. I also soldered the wire extension kit in. When you do this... make sure that you stagger the solder joints so you can feed the wire thru the bars easily. This is the second time I did bars on a bike and this time I got sort of a "python swallowed it's prey" growth in the wire and couldn't get it thru the hole in the bar. I had to take everything apart and redo it. Cost of time and more shrink tube. Make sure you shrink tube each individual wire solder joint and then shrink tube the entire batch.

I also ordered speed bleeders.. but that was just my personal preference. They work great though I will say. You can find them here. www.speedbleeder.com
Even though my buddies were there to help me bleed I was fully expecting to do this on my own so for the 20 bucks or so it was worth it to me.

If your doing this yourself. I coated my wiring down with a non petroleum lubricant. I won't tell you where I got it from... but I just got it. :)

I think that's it for now. Need anything more give a shout.

Night Stalker 02-05-2008 04:13 PM

Lion,
Thank you very much for the extensive post! Explains a lot, and I really appreciate it! I am helicopter avionics / electrician... so the wiring is no big deal to me. I just wanted to make sure about the parts needed. I want to order everything at once, and not realize, that I forgot to order something. If I come across anything, I will give you a shout! Thanks again!

kato1964 02-05-2008 05:49 PM

Absolutely awesome. Just one question: if it was 35, why were you taking pics, instead of out riding?? ;)

lionsqrne 02-05-2008 06:32 PM

I am shocked it took someone this long to notice that and say that about being 35. :)

I have no valid excuses other than I had other things to do and by the time I got them done it was to late. I am a bit of a bear in hibernation in the winter and this winter has really been getting me down. We don't normally go this long without having a nice warm day to melt things down and get a quick ride in. Just been to much ice and snowpack this year on the side streets to get out on the main rodes.