Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Vance & Hines or Cobra - which is better? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/195612-vance-and-hines-or-cobra-which-is-better.html)

stevejt99 02-14-2008 05:10 PM

Vance & Hines or Cobra - which is better?

New pipes are in order for my 2004 Heritage Classic (Fuel Injected), I just need to decide which ones.

Which is better in regards to quality, sound, fitment, fuel management.

Vance & Hines Straightshots HS
OR
Cobra Dragsters

Thanks for you replies!
Steve

SplinterMC 02-14-2008 05:30 PM

RE: Vance & Hines or Cobra - which is better?

I am a huge fan of Vance and Hines between the 4 bikes my dad and I have 3 of them are vance and Hines. We have a 74 shovelhead with true duals V&H a 86 Softail V&H longshots and a 1999 Indian with V&H true duals. on my 95 softail I am going V&H longshot HS

They sound great look great and with the upgraded s&s carb we lost like 3 mpg and that was all so instead of 50 mpg i get 47 mpg still better than any car out there well maybe those new hybrids get what 60+ now oh well

V&H have great quality awesome sound, great full management, and they fit great

just all IMO

FXSTI Guy 02-14-2008 05:47 PM

V&H Straightshot HS owner here...they sound GREAT (I run the stock baffles) they look GREAT (they're configured similar to the stock pipes...I like the look) and they're easy to install (couple hours max)...they're solid quality units and I have no complaints...I'm running a stock 88" Twin Cam with S/E AC and a canned map PCIII (no dyno) and I'm getting high 30's/low 40'son my mileage...acceptable.

tom134 02-14-2008 06:25 PM

Huge fan of V&H. I've never heard of any problems concerning chrome and they sound and look great. I did have a set of Cobra slip-on drag pipes on a metric I owned. The chrome spidered. Couldn't notice it until you looked up close. Pissed me off none the less.

BigMike17 02-14-2008 06:29 PM

Vance & Hines Straightshots HS all the way -

DrawDown 02-14-2008 06:36 PM

I also am a vance & hines fan so i'd go with them.

Nostalgic07 02-14-2008 07:13 PM

Your gonna have to listen to them both...

I have had both the cobra drag pipes, and now I have the V&H big radius long shots...IMO, I liked the Cobra pipes better!! I don't know If it's because I had drag pipes and went to Longshots...But I liked the Cobra pipes better!! I think I am going to change to the Rhinehart crossover pipes next....

CycleDrider 02-14-2008 07:28 PM

I'v had VH big radius on my last bike and now have dragsters on my fatboy. To be honest I like the cobra sound a little better than VH. They both are good quality, I don't think you can go wrong with either. As mentioned up above you need to listen to both.

notafatboy 03-06-2008 10:20 AM

CycleDrider,

nice bike, what seat and handle bars do you have on your Fat Boy?

also, i have heard the cobra drag pipes as well...I liked them so much I am installing them this weekend...there isa decent dealer that sells them at a kick a** price too.

nice.

CycleDrider 03-06-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: notafatboy

CycleDrider,

nice bike, what seat and handle bars do you have on your Fat Boy?

also, i have heard the cobra drag pipes as well...I liked them so much I am installing them this weekend...there isa decent dealer that sells them at a kick a** price too.

nice.
Thanks for the comments. I like the pipes, I think you won't be dissapointed. The seat is by saddleman. Tattoo profiler with rider area gel. Its pretty comfortable for me. The bars are Carlini's 9" clean sweeps. There are different types check out there website for other styles.