Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom

Live2Ride, do you have more pictures showing the shield?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley_nova

Would it fit fine with stock everything?

Can HD dealers order these for you?

Thanks
It should fit fine with stock everything. On the Windvest website, you have to choose the diameter bar you have. I have 1-1/4" bars, so I had to select that size. They have a setup for the 1" bars also.

I got mine through a dealer, so you should be able to do the same. You'll just have to make sure they order the right one (height, color, mounting hardware size).

Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: harley_nova

Live2Ride, do you have more pictures showing the shield?
I do have more picture. I'm unable to access them now, because I'm at the office. If you go to the Softail Custom Picture thread, and start with the last page and work your way back a few, you'll see where I posted them. If you're not able to find them, I'll try to post them in this thread this evening.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

Here's a picture of the Windvestfrom the front.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

Another angle.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

From the back. (kinda)

Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Twolf
Road Master

Don't buy the HD windshield.

Go with the Windvest or MY choice, Memphis Shades Fats.

HD wants 400 bucks, MS was $265. MUCH thicker, and when I broke a mounting bolt, they sent me 8 for FREE!

Will HD do that? I doubt it!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 AM
harley_nova
Tourer

Hey Live2Ride, I think I am SOLD on the windvest. Looks sweet on the softails. Thanks for the pics

Thanks to everyone else for the input and advice.

Ryan

Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

You won't regret it. Hell, I was even impressed with the packaging. They really try to make it look like a high end windshield. When I opened the box, the winshield was in a soft red cloth bag with a elastic opening to pull it closed. It reminded me of the packaging for a bottle of Crown Royal. When I have the bike in the garage, I pull the little bag over the windshield just to keep the dust off it. I figure the dustier it gets, the more scratched up it'll get. So I try to avoid it. I might just be crazy, though. But like I said, you won't regret buyin' it. Ride safe!

Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM
skypilot101
Intermediate
Default Switchblade Detachable Windshield on 08 Softail Custom

I'm about to take a ride to New Orleans from Virginia, and then back, and decided to outfit my 2008 Softail Custom with a detachable windshield to protect me from the big bugs.... and whatever else gets kicked up by traffic up ahead!

I was steered away from the HD detachable windshields based on me not wanting to relocate anything, and I was concerned about all the internet stories about buffeting after installing one of these things. Instead, I went to a National Cycle Switchblade "Chopped" model, and just in case, I bought a set of their chrome lower air deflectors, but hoping I'd just be able to return those. Windshield installation was a breeze, and no relocation necessary. The windshield and hardware are nice...high-quality, and the design is good.

First test ride was interesting. My helmet was getting knocked around by unexpected turbulence over 60 mpg, and at 70, it blurred my vision. I rode back home and installed those chrome lowers, never expecting those to do much. I also raised the windshield up a half inch from the recommendations. Back out on the road, mostly figuring it would all go in the box for returning.

What a difference! With those deflectors, the ride was quiet, the helmet jitters went away, and no problems cruising 70-80 at all. Could hear the pipes, engine, etc and the incessant roar of wind noise was noticeably absent. Just the ticket for a long ride. All this stuff is coming off for rides around town, but I think this is a great investment for that long ride coming up, and the stuff looks pretty good. Well, to be honest, those lowers take some getting used to, but with the windshield, they're OK. (without the windshield, they look like a cattle catcher on a locomotive....)

I'll also mention that I ordered the N1321 Windshield Bag from National, but I wasn't impressed with that. I'd never put it on my bike...Looks cheap and in sharp contrast to the rest of the gear from them.

Attached are a couple pix of before and after.

Ride Safe!
Ken
Alexandria, VA

Attached Thumbnails  Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom-photo0012.jpg    Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom-img_0451.jpg    Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom-img_0453.jpg    Detachable Windshield for an 08 Softail Custom-img_0455.jpg