Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   oil change (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/229311-oil-change.html)

harleyfstst 05-04-2008 09:17 PM

oil change

i have a 2005 softail standard can anyone tell me where the drain plug is located to change the oil

Korbenw7p3c 05-05-2008 06:23 AM

RE: oil change

Right side under the passenger footpeg I believe.

renoa18 05-05-2008 06:45 AM

Follow the right side of the oile tank to the bottom of the frame and where the swingarm and frame come together is where the drain plug for the oil tank is

In Memoriam Citoriplus 05-05-2008 07:57 AM

Before you change the oilmake sure you run the bike long enough to get it warmed up.Harley engine's use a dry sump oil system and they are notorious for 'leaking' back into the crankcase when they sit for any length of time.
Running the engine will get as much oil as possible out of the engine and back in the tank. Once its warm it will also hold more of thecrudin suspension within the oil instead of laying in the tank and engine where it won't come out.
And once your finished putting a new filter on its a good idea to only put about 2.5 quarts back in instead of the rated 3 quarts. Then you can start the engine and let it warm up a little before you recheck the level.
If you put the full 3 quarts in its not uncommon for themto 'throw up' oil out of the tank fill cap because there can be as much asa half a quart that never comes out during a normal change.

bdejong11129 05-06-2008 06:31 PM

+1, I followed the 2.5qt rule and it worked out perfect. Once the oil had some time to run through the new filter I re-checked it and had to add the last .5qt. The oil level did register as completely full before starting it for the first time and I have no doubt it would have been a mess if I had put it all in there at once.

anubisss 05-06-2008 07:26 PM

Then you'll have transmission oil and primary oil to change after that. A service manual is highly recommended. All I heard when I first got here was buy the freakin' man ual. Eventually I did.

wallyn 05-06-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: renoa18

Follow the right side of the oile tank to the bottom of the frame and where the swingarm and frame come together is where the drain plug for the oil tank is
This is the hardest this to find when doing the oil change the fist time. The Oil Drain plug is in the FRAME. There is a hose that leads to it from Oil Bag.

harleyfstst 05-08-2008 11:05 AM

thanks for allthe help, changed oil p, primary,and tranny. again thanks for the help

SoALposer 05-08-2008 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Before you change the oilmake sure you run the bike long enough to get it warmed up.Harley engine's use a dry sump oil system and they are notorious for 'leaking' back into the crankcase when they sit for any length of time.
Running the engine will get as much oil as possible out of the engine and back in the tank. Once its warm it will also hold more of thecrudin suspension within the oil instead of laying in the tank and engine where it won't come out.
And once your finished putting a new filter on its a good idea to only put about 2.5 quarts back in instead of the rated 3 quarts. Then you can start the engine and let it warm up a little before you recheck the level.
If you put the full 3 quarts in its not uncommon for themto 'throw up' oil out of the tank fill cap because there can be as much asa half a quart that never comes out during a normal change.
Wish I had listened when I was told this, lol, it makes a big mess, trust me.

Dixie Dreg 05-08-2008 06:17 PM

harleyfstst, you might want to check out this link.http://www.roguechopper.com/