Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   No Tach! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/232728-no-tach.html)

nickfear 05-13-2008 04:25 AM

No Tach!

I just realised that my new Rocker C won't have a tach!

Coming from the sportsbike crown this is a shocker. I could probably do with adding one at some point.

Is there an obvious tail-off of power on the 96TC motor? How do you know when you're around 15,000rpm (that is the readline, right???) ;-)

rockerheadsteve 05-13-2008 04:37 AM

RE: No Tach!

Sportbike? Where are you coming from? This aint no v-rod or buell and it definetly aint no sportster. A real Harley dosent come with a tach!

rockerheadsteve 05-13-2008 04:39 AM

Whats TC?

Vikingnomad 05-13-2008 05:54 AM

15,000 RPMs??? Where you goin' so fast, this ain't a Ninja....
I'm adding a tach to my FXSTC so I can tune it better not do wheel stands...

Da Bone

In Memoriam Citoriplus 05-13-2008 06:22 AM

Don't worry about it a "B" motor like yours will shut itself off at about 6200.
15,000, that's funny. If you ever got one up that high the odds are that the emergency room crowdwould be laughing their heads offlooking for a winch to pulla 4" piston out of your a$$.

rockerheadsteve 05-13-2008 07:13 AM

I think we have a troll? Your right about the piston thing. But thy took my bike to 66 or 6700 rpms and a 168 mph on the dyno and it never shut down. I watched them shut down an ultra classic at a 150mph. My dyno man said that was the first time he seen speeds like that on a stock harley.

In Memoriam Citoriplus 05-13-2008 07:53 AM

I seriously doubt you could geteven a hotroddedair cooledHarley bagger up to that kind of speed in the real world. Trying to shove that much bodywork through the air would take more HP than you can reasonably expect to get out of anengine you want to live more than 20 minutes. A VRod shouldbe able to get up there, but its got more HP to start with and its not handicapped by all that extra body work either.

rockerhead 05-13-2008 08:00 AM

Pull up your pants, it's too late to save your boots!

rockerheadsteve 05-13-2008 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

I seriously doubt you could geteven a hotroddedair cooledHarley bagger up to that kind of speed in the real world. Trying to shove that much bodywork through the air would take more HP than you can reasonably expect to get out of anengine you want to live more than 20 minutes. A VRod shouldbe able to get up there, but its got more HP to start with and its not handicapped by all that extra body work either.
I wasnt considering a 103 or 110. I would expect it would do better than mine. And that dyno pull is the only time my bike will ever see that speed again. Im not a speed freak. Speed kills. Im impressed with knowing it will do it. And I hope your not calling me a liar!

tk353 05-13-2008 08:47 AM

I think I would get a second opinion dyno run.