Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?

ORIGINAL: lionsqrne

I pulled mine out on a Standard I had. I had the tank repainted and then I dropped it off at the dealer to let them put it back in while I was at work. Cost me 45 dollars for that. They suggest that you replace the nylon screws that hold the gasket down with new ones.

I just let them do it cuz I wanted to get the tank on right after work and I didn't want to risk scratchin my new tank job.
I did the same as above on his suggestion.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: donk_316

Wow what a bunch of girls.

Its really easy. Pull the cover, fish out the pump, disconnect the wires, disconnect fuel lines, unscrew "petcock" from tank.... i did it when removing tank the first time without knowing how to remove line from injectors.

It looks like alot of parts but it all comes out as one piece.
Thanks Donk,It's not hard if you have any mechanical skills at all.Wow you have to remove some screws and cut a couple of clamps.You do have to work it alittle to get the right position to pull it out of the hole.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Some people are just extremely arrogantgifted mechanically inclinedhuman beings.

The rest of us are just whiney girls.

Just for the record, i've been twisting a wrench since I was 12. Racing motocross for 22 years, and racing circle track for 11, and restored 2 dirt bikes, and my current '82 Suzuki. So don't dump on my presumed ability as"lack of skills".....

Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a real hard job, just need patience. The service manual gives good instructions, do you have one?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Gary Underhill
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I charge 1 hr labor + parts that's $55.00 at my shop in Trinity Texas , for going into the tank for any reason. Alias Smith and Jones V-Twins 936-744-1290

Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't classify myself as extremely mechanically gifted, but I bought a carb after market tank, drilled out the EFI assembly and welded it in place in the new one, pulled out the guts and put them in the new one without even glancing at the manual. Time consuming? I guess if you call an hour to swap the guts time consuming, then yes it is. Hard to do? Not in the least. Would I pay anyone to do it for me? Not in a million years.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by spydyr
I wouldn't classify myself as extremely mechanically gifted, but I bought a carb after market tank, drilled out the EFI assembly and welded it in place in the new one, pulled out the guts and put them in the new one without even glancing at the manual. Time consuming? I guess if you call an hour to swap the guts time consuming, then yes it is. Hard to do? Not in the least. Would I pay anyone to do it for me? Not in a million years.
I agree!

Not a hard job when using a manual.

Pulled the entire guts out of my Street Bob, replaced the filters and hoses and put it back in. Entire process was about a 3 beer job. Finished the last 3 beers while admiring my work.

They say to replace the gasket and screws. The screws have a gasket around the top to seal everything. I put in a new gasket, but not new screws. There are many posts here that say you can re-use the screws with out leakage. I did not have any leaks.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The December issue of American has a complete article on switching out a fuel tank, electric pump and all, shows exactly how to do it.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Go get a shop manual dude. Take the time to do it yourself. You will enjoy the final results that much more cause YOU did it.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

The advice on masking the tank is a good one.

Who cares about a buck or two for new screws. Do it.

The filter kit for Softails of my year(s) comes with a new upper hose. Get a lower hose/petcock kit and do that, too. Then you won't have to worry about the dreaded 'hole rubbed in the hose' characteristic of some HD tanks.

Get a shop manual for your bike if you don't have one. Finding a YouTube video that exactly matches your model will be a stroke of luck. Watching one will give you an idea, however, of what is involved.

Cut the upper fuel line to remove the unit. It makes it easier on most models because it gives you more space to extract the pump/filter unit. Note that each model can have its quirks with spacing and configuration so your shop manual is the best resource.

It is possible to connect the wiring backwards because the connectors will go together in either direction. Pay attention when you remove it.

The greatest potential for dinging your tank is from the dangling dash panel.

Check the rubber isolator on the bottom of your fuel pump to make sure it hasn't split due to wear. If it looks suspicious, replace it. It's cheap.

In the case of my Nightrain the issues with the most potential problems were:

1. Figuring out how the swinging bracket that supports the fuel pump works if you have never seen one.

2. Getting the new hose from the filter kit to go on over the nipple on the new filter. If it has been sitting around for a while it can be pretty stiff. I had to carefully reduce the diameter of the nipple to get the hose to go on.

No special tools required except possibly for the clamping pliers used to tighten the hose clamps and clamping pliers to cut off the flow from the side to side fuel hose on the tank when you take it off the bike. You will also need a rubber nipple to put on the the fuel tank hose fitting that you disconnect the side to side fuel hose from.

Good luck.

C#

Last edited by cwsharp; 01-03-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel pump assy for efi tank?