Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart exhaust install ?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rinehart exhaust install ?

I recieved my rinehart flush today andforgot it did not bring the exhaust gaskets.The instructions state to remove my old gaskets and replace with the thinner James Gaskets.Will any exhaust gaskets do or am i going to have to order these James Gaskets to do the install.Pardon my ignorance but this i going to be my first install.Just want to make sure if i could just get some exhaust gaskets to do the job.thanks
FWIW,th techthat was going to do the pipe install for me wants 250..00.I think i'll try it myself.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rinehart exhaust install ?

I always used the HD Screaming Eagle gaskets on my aftermarket pipes. When removing the old gasket, you will look into the port and swear that there is nothing there. You have to take a pick and start picking at the area and lo and behold the old gasket will stick its ugly head up so that you can remove it, overwise it blends in perfectly with the metal. Also do not overtorque the connection to the engine, use of a torque wrench is recommended. After you get them installed be sure and thorougly wipe them down with a good cleaner like Windex or GlassPlus to get all the fingerprints off, because if you don't the first time you start the engine and heat the pipes up those fingerprints will be engraved into the chrome forever Anyway, it is a easy job and no need to pay $250 to get it done. Just take your time and it will go fine. Jerry

Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rick,

post pics when you are done. I am looking at the Rinehart Cross Backs with the black ceramic coated section. They are kinda steep though $700-$800. Ouch! Also looking at the D&D Fat CAt. Don't know what I want yet. The Rineharts have made me second guess myself.

I always use the SE gaskets.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
rick
Road Warrior

Thanks,appreciate the responses.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Installation of the flush cut pipes is real easy since there is no cross over pipe. However I think you might need the James Gasket. Harley exhaust gaskets are slightly cone shaped which interfaces nicely to the rounded edge of the stock Harley header pipe, but the Rinehart flush cut pipe header edge is straight with no bevel. The James gasket is also flat to mate to the straight cut edge of the flush cuts. This is hard to describe in words, but once you take your old pipes off and look at the exhaust port in the stock Harley gasket and then look at the flush cut edge, you’ll see what I mean. You might want to call your dealer and see if they have a James gasket or confirmed that my concern is not valid.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
rick
Road Warrior

I couldnt find the James Gasket so i picked up the HD screaming eagle gaskets.They apparently are the same.No bevel and thin.This should do it.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM
AGRV8D
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see sig

ORIGINAL: WARG

I am looking at the Rinehart Cross Backs with the black ceramic coated section. They are kinda steep though $700-$800.