Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 AM
howartthou
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

Problem is you buy all the horsepower you want, but some joker is going to be faster not matter what. LOL
Exactly...it's like being a fighter...there is always someone out there that can beat you.

Mac
True, true. If I do the power upgrade I would be happy to beat most average cars and bikes if they challenge me. The odds of getting challenged at the lights are slim but when it happens I don't want to be embarressed by what could be considered an average car [].

Old 03-23-2005, 06:17 AM
investorsc
Road Master

...Like me....Heh heh!

BRUCE

Old 03-23-2005, 07:33 AM
FXST
Cruiser

Look at getting your heads flowed as well as the 95 kit....the standard heads are very restricted and you should pick up another 15-20hp from that as well.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

hey investor

It seems like you have one mean bike with the 103 and 6 speed.

Is a bike like yours also comfortable when touring?

And is your bike still a Harley? It looks more like a chopper to me, and a very nice one.

Can anyone tell me if a custom shopper still qualifies as a Harley?

Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 AM
m5xjr
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: howartthou

Just as an aside, I generally do not have any problem at all in leaving cars behind at the lights. On the odd occassion when a car decides to drag however, thats when it could get embarressing.
Let 'em go.

It don't cost nothing.......and then SMILE as you RIDE.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:19 AM
m5xjr
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: howartthou
I am not in a hurry.
NOTE: QUOTE above was EXTREMELY edited.

I know.....I know......I'm a sarcastic bastard.

Best wishes in your search for Low end, off the line accelleration. Your situation reminds of the when I was racing my buddy in High school. It was a long time ago, and I'm over it now, but anyway, it was '75 and my buddy had a souped up '68 Camaro. I just had an old Ford Pick-up( 4-speed) that my Dad used to tow his stockcar. We would race home from school almost every day and I would always lose. I got tired of it, so one day I just rammed him through an intersection at a stoplight, and finally beat him home.

Morale of this story: Sell your bike and buy an old Ford Pick-up.

I know.....I know......I'm a sarcastic bastard.

Listed below are the true facts of the embellished and somewhat untrue accounts of the "story" above. All other statements above may be fictional:

It was a long time ago.
My buddy had a '68 camaro and we raced home from school almost every day.
I had an old Ford Pick-up (I can't remember the year of the truck, but it was an ugly green)
The truck WAS a 4-speed.
I would always lose.
I'm over it now.
Best wishes.
I'm a sarcastic bastard.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:46 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

m5xjr

I don't mind your sarcasm, it's pretty mild if you ask me. I say that because aussie's can be the most sarcastic bastards you'd ever meet so I am certainly no stranger to it.

ummmm ramming your buddy? haha! I don't think I could appreciate that much sarcasm though.

Anyway, I will get over my need for speed because I still love my Harley and it is still a power machine with plenty of other great attributes to go with it.

One thing I dont want to do is trade power for engine life or ride quality or fuel economy. Just idle curiosity at this stage

Old 03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

howartthou,

Investors actually has three bikes, the one you are referring to is a bourget? not sure of the spelling. He just finished his "mods" to an Ultra, with the 103 and 6 speed and about 25 million other things, you can check it out in the Harley Davidson General Chat forum. Pretty decent job, and the bike is worth a look, and I would think every penny he paid for it.

Hope this answers your question...I'm not sure where Bruce is lately, he's probably riding that new Ultra.

Mac

Old 03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts

Howarthou, If you are buying a new engine a 103 is a great piece of equipment, but if you are upgrading an 88, I don't know if it's worth the money. A 95" is a 88 that has had the jugs bored to 95" and entails only taking the top end off. If you include head work, pipes, breather, carb or EFI work, cams, lifters, etc, etc you can get a dependable rocket.

A 103 is a completly different story. If you are rebuilding yours, you have to take the complete engine out of the frame, take off and bore out jugs, remve the primary, split the lower cases, replace the flywheel, and install stroker pistons. Then you would want to install a stronger clutch, install a oil cooler, and the list goes on and on.

If it's an 88 now, I would do a stage 3-95", If it's a new purchase I would go with a 103. My opinion only.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 PM
OzSpringer02
4th Gear

LOL

For some one who wants more off the line,
and continues to get belted in the back of the head by his missus for going to fast![:@]
and worries about SPEED CAMERAS when travelling up the bush at 130kph (85mph) (Speed limit here is 100kph/60mph)
seems to me like the bike is fast enough.. just gotta watch the attitude when riding
or you WILL lose your ticket!! (or worse come off badly!)

(Also think he's upset that my carby SPRINGER now gives his EFI a run for his money
since I did the SE Stage1 kit!!!)

Richard

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle 103B 1690cc