Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88B Engine Life

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 88B Engine Life

My first post on this site...

I'm looking to purchase a new Heritage Soft Tail with the 88B motor and was wondering what kind of engine life I might expect with no mods and all of the standard maintenance.

This will be my first bike, so I ask from a zero knowledge baseline. I'm just looking for a rough guess...

OBTW, I asked this question on another forum and it was like I had burned the HD flag and pissed on the ashes!!

Thanks
Edmo

Old 03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
AzSpringer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 88B Engine Life

Like any engine, you will get many years of enjoyment as long as you regularly change all the oils and filters. Just remember oil is cheap, motors aren't. Enjoy the ride and have fun.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Markcuda
Banned

I asked this question on another forum
What forum would that be?????
Welcome to this forum, sir[8D]

Old 03-19-2005, 10:15 PM
richb
Novice

I'm new to the site also, but will give you a little info from my point of view.

My 2000 fxst has most of the stage I upgrades and only has a little over 20,000 miles without any problems. A good friend of mine has a little more time for touring and has a stock 2000 heritage softail with over 40,000 miles and no problems. We both change oil at 2,500 miles and run jagg oil coolers.

Both these bikes have the 88B motor in it's first model year so some improvements may have been made by now.Hope this info helps a little.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Welcome aboard. As long as you maintain the engine properly (regular oil changes, etc...) you will get many years out of it.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-20-2005, 10:00 AM
05RdKing
Road Master

what Clammy said ......

Old 03-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been told the 88B is a 100K motor. I don't know if it's true or not, but I'm sure going to give it a run for its money...

Ryan

Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

I asked a similar question on this forum before I got my 88b (2005 Heritage). Most feedback was positive, but the bottom line for me was that it's so much fun to ride I just don't care anymore.

I just have not stopped riding it since I got it!

I have come to the conclusion, as most have, that you just need to stick to the regular services and it should go a long long way.

After my first service though, I did switch to Harleys Screaming Eagle Syn3 oil (no this is not an ad). I am assuming the extra dollars on the oil are worth it if the syn offers better engine protection in the long run...

Anyway, I just ride it now and enjoy it and feel confident the 88b will be throbbing away for a long long time...

Old 03-29-2005, 07:54 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

Hey Ryan

Thats a mean pic in your signature. I have yet to take a photo of my bike that will compete with your pics.

I like the floorboards and matching brake pedal....

You also added rear floorboards too...and is that a frame attached foot rest above the brake pedal? I can't quite make it out, any chance you could post a pic of the whole bike so I can see your latest additions in full?

And if you ever want to get rid of those crappie stock Heritage handlebars let me know, having done it myself I have a few tips I could share if you are interested?

I may post a thread on the subject...

Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: howartthou

Hey Ryan

Thats a mean pic in your signature. I have yet to take a photo of my bike that will compete with your pics.

I like the floorboards and matching brake pedal....

You also added rear floorboards too...and is that a frame attached foot rest above the brake pedal? I can't quite make it out, any chance you could post a pic of the whole bike so I can see your latest additions in full?

And if you ever want to get rid of those crappie stock Heritage handlebars let me know, having done it myself I have a few tips I could share if you are interested?

I may post a thread on the subject...
Hey bud,

Have you seen this thread? It has some updated pictures...

http://www.vtwintalk.com/m_29430/tm.htm

Ryan

Quick Reply: 88B Engine Life