Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another exhaust question

Old 10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another exhaust question

I just purchased an '07 Fat Boy, and despite initially thinking I would leave the stock exhaust on it, I've now changed my mind. My last two bikes were both borderline obnoxiously loud with the pipes they had installed, and I'm over the need to be loud. I just want it to sound more like an HD at idle. While this is my first Harley, I'm no stranger to fuel injected bikes and all the fun that goes along with tuning them after installing after market parts....I had lots of fun getting my VTX 1800 dyno tuned........

Anyway, since I don't want anything extremely loud I was thinking about the SE slipons. However, I've read here on these forums and other places that the SEs aren't much different from stock and I'd hate to spend the money on them and them not be what I wanted. I've also been looking at the V&H slipons, and I know that they would sound good but I'm uncertain as to how loud they'll be. It would be super cool if someone with either the SEs or the V&Hs would be willing to meet me one weekend so I could hear them for myself and see what I think. I live near Greenville, TX and don't have a problem coming into the Dallas or Fort Worth area to hear the pipes. PM me or post here if you wouldn't mind.

Also, if anyone has sound clips (or knows where to find some on the interwebs) or any advice regarding this choice, I'd really appreciate that, too.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you scroll down through this forum, there is an exhaust section, that has sound clips.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics/56636-sound-posting-of-exhaust-systems.html
Tom

Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Yeah, I'd already seen that, but I didn't see any clips of the newer SEs. I've found a really good deal on a set of the newer SEs, but I'd like to hear them before I pull the trigger on purchasing them. I know that videos on the internet aren't going to give a truthful representation of the sound they produce, but I'd like to at least have an idea.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Well, the deal was too good to pass up.......and I can always sell them and make my money back.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you decide to sell them....check out the Vance & Hines Q Series Double Barrels....They are not obnoxiously loud but man do they have a nice mellow deeeeep rumble and look awesome...I just installed mine and was totally impressed....Two thumbs up to V&H for these creations.....