Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between bike GPS and car GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Lures
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference between bike GPS and car GPS

ORIGINAL: Spike_96

Bike specific GPS units like the Garmin Zumo 450/550 have the buttons on the left, come with bike and car mounts,&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are waterproof, and you can enlarge the on screen keypad for use with gloves.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Additionaly they are built to withstand the vibrations that are inherent to motorcycles

Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM
NamVet69
Novice

I am looking for a gps that won't cost a fortune.
I don't care if it is waterproof as long as I can remove it easily.
I don't believe that vibration is an issue, I mean we aren't talking vacuum tubes here.
I rarely wear gloves and the sun would be the only issue down here in Florida.
Yes I know the mount would also be a concern, I'm sure that this is not a major problem.
Anyone else feel the same, and has anyone else did anything about it?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by NamVet69
I am looking for a gps that won't cost a fortune.
I don't care if it is waterproof as long as I can remove it easily.
I don't believe that vibration is an issue, I mean we aren't talking vacuum tubes here.
I rarely wear gloves and the sun would be the only issue down here in Florida.
Yes I know the mount would also be a concern, I'm sure that this is not a major problem.
Anyone else feel the same, and has anyone else did anything about it?
A standard car GPS unit would fit all of your criteria. The three main manufacturers are Garmin, Magellan and Tom Tom. You can get one for as low as $80-$100 or as high as a several hundred dollars.

I would get on Amazon.com and search GPS units to see which one would work the best for you. I'm only suggesting Amazon because they will show you a large number of GPS units available. Once you know which GPS you want, you can then search for the best deal. They're all going to do basically the same thing. The major differences in price are usually due to features. It's not like you need Rand McNally riding with you.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddha4
You also want&nbsp\\;to be able to push the buttons while wearing gloves.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; some&nbsp\\;of the Auto models would be almost impposible ot operated while on a bike
Yes my Garmin 665 is water proof, dust proof, vibration proof and glove friendly. The one in my wifes car is not. PIA in a ND winter. Also, a Motorcycle specific exhaust will have a motorcycle for the little icon instead of a car.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Firezapper
Cruiser

I have a $50. Car Garmin. Has been wet from many hours of riding in the rain. No problems after 2 years.

Attached Thumbnails  Difference between bike GPS and car GPS-image.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

some have a non-reflective screen which would be nice.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Yes my Garmin 665 is water proof, dust proof, vibration proof and glove friendly. The one in my wifes car is not. PIA in a ND winter. Also, a Motorcycle specific exhaust will have a motorcycle for the little icon instead of a car.
I have the Garmin Nuvi 665LM with XM Radio as well. I also purchased an AC adapter from GPS City so I can listen to XM Radio at home or wherever I want to plug it in. I didn't go with the Harley-Davidson verson since the HD Dealership Locations and other icons are downloadable from Garmin at no charge. To date, however, I have yet to play with a trip planner or download anything on a media card. BTW, I think I read something somewhere about the motorcycle versions being affected less by the fumes from fuel and so on.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
leadermc
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's about the Mount

In my experience, you don't need an expensive GPS like the Zumo, for waterproofing I put a baggie over it. Hey, it works and I only need it for a short time. Garmin Nuvi series is the top seller, if that matters to you; Magellans I find have limited mounting options (for motorcycle) but then I like a nice-looking mount, not cheapie plastic. What matters is the mount, in my experience. It's not worth crimping on the mount! American-made, solid construction, family biz: http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/motorcycle-gps-mounts/

Attached Thumbnails  Difference between bike GPS and car GPS-edm-hd-nuvi-a.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by leadermc
In my experience, you don't need an expensive GPS like the Zumo, for waterproofing I put a baggie over it. Hey, it works and I only need it for a short time. Garmin Nuvi series is the top seller, if that matters to you; Magellans I find have limited mounting options (for motorcycle) but then I like a nice-looking mount, not cheapie plastic. What matters is the mount, in my experience. It's not worth crimping on the mount! American-made, solid construction, family biz: http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/motorcycle-gps-mounts/
Aren't RAM Mounts made in the USA too? The Garmin Nuvi 665LM actually comes with three mounts: One automotive suction cup mount and two different RAM Mounts for a motorcycle. One is a u-brace for the handlebars and the other is a clutch mount. I originally had my GPS on the clutch mount, but then I ordered some additional RAM items through GPS City (which also has a warehouse locally). One a ball mount for a GoPro and another ball for the Dynojet Power Vision. Now, I can just switch off between the GoPro and the Power Vision.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a regular gar Garmin mounted to my bars. Works perfect. I keep a ziplock bag and rubberbands in my tour pack and cover it when it rains so I can still use it. No issues.

Quick Reply: Difference between bike GPS and car GPS