Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Washing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Washing Question

I just can't seem to bring myself to take a hose and start running water over my engine, or really anywhere on my bike. Doesn't that screw up electrical stuff. Surely, when washing your bike, you don't direct running water up in the carburator area. What about getting water on the rectifier at the front of the bike right in front of the oil filter? Can that get flooded with water?

Old 03-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Hooper
Tourer
Default RE: Bike Washing Question

I run water over mine to wash it all the time. After I wash I take a leaf blower and blow it dry. Does a good job and keeps chrome from getting water spots.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed.. I try not to spray with too much pressure up behind the air cleaner, but I've sprayed the front area around the voltage regulator quite often and not run into any problems, but who knows... I don't recall the manual saying anything about it.
The bikes are designed to ride in the rain, so they're fairly resilient to being wet.. one would assume.

Interesting question. [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
DMSC
Road Master

Well, though I wouldn't say that it couldn't happen, I spray my scoots with water each time I've washed them. never had a problem. I do let the bike dry before riding.

I wouldn't use high pressure around certain areas (like the a/c/carb) and I try to not spray water directly into those areas as well.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surely, when washing your bike, you don't direct running water up in the carburator area.
You are correct. And don't call me Shirley.

You can put a shower cap over the stock air cleaner to help keep the water out.

But remember, these things will run in the rain so washing it should not be a problem.

I pull the seat and cover the battery area with a plastic bag and sometimes cover the air cleaner.

Do not aim directly at the air intakes and as suggested use a leaf blower or something similar to dry. I usually ride mine dry.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

Ditto... I hit mine with water all the time... I just use the shower setting on the nozzle.. And I don't go nuts. I have an EFI though... But rumor has it that water and the PCIII are not compatible... Even with a metric ton of dielectic grease in there.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:02 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a pressure and setting about equal to a shower, not a full stream high pressure. Very light pressure with a sponge, dipping it in a bucket after every swipe to get any hard debris off. Then light mist to rinse the soap off. I take it for a short ride to dry it, then polish.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Why does everyone think these things are the Mona Lisa? They are motorcycles. They are designed to ridden in all kinds of weather, including pouring rain.

On one trip alone I rode for nearly 800 miles in a steady downpour. There were 14 other bikes with me, and many more on the road, and I didn't see one breakdown due to the bike being waterlogged.

Don't hit the bike directly around the wheel bearings, carb, or electrical stuff with a real high pressure car wash wand, but don't worry about using soap and water to wash it.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

Thats what I do. Take the seat off, Shower cap over the air cleaner, wash it and use a CLEAN high air electric leaf blower. Done.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure your leaf blower is clean or you will be sand blasting your bike!

Quick Reply: Bike Washing Question