Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Guitarman52
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided

I was ready to put the rush slipons on my new heritage, until I started reading some of the posts here. The dealer tells me I will not have to remap. He said they have put lots of them on with no problems. He also said you will get about a 5 hp boost. Do you all think it will hurt the engine over time... too lean???? Has anyone here run the slipons without the map for an extended time?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

To be honest, the stock engine runs too lean from the factory and I would remap anyhow. Opening up your system to breath better will only make it worse. If I were you (and I was) I would get the slipons, a good breathing air filter and remap. Then you will not have to worry about running too lean or too much heat.
You know deep down your going to do it eventually anyhow right?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got them on mine and I also have the XiEDs....no problems and I think with the minor change the Rush's make (I still have the stock football) the XiEDs compensate.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Joe Driver...
Install the Rush slip-ons and the XiEDs and you run on down the road

If you were going with a High flow Intake/ Filter I would Recommend a tune or tuner...

Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman52
I was ready to put the rush slipons on my new heritage, until I started reading some of the posts here. The dealer tells me I will not have to remap. He said they have put lots of them on with no problems. He also said you will get about a 5 hp boost. Do you all think it will hurt the engine over time... too lean???? Has anyone here run the slipons without the map for an extended time?
Here in Ind last year (07) our HD shop and the other in Indy where putting on 2" baffles Rush pipes without any other work, did get decell popping.
When I call Rush at first they said 2' was ok, but now this year (08)some are saying no more than 1 3/4" to give a little more back pressure and no other engine mods needed.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Rush and XIEDS, and have no problems at all. The pipe color is good as are the plugs, They are very good but I just want more now, I will go for pipes and a tuner over the winter.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman52
I was in the same spot last year..... I didn't want to spend another $250 on a fuel management system - then it hit me... I spent $18,000 on the bike!!! what's a few hundred more???? and it runs cooler and louder and maybe a little faster. I went with 2" Rushs, a Screaming Eagle air cleaner and a Power Commander. I had an independent shop install everything for $150.

don't cheat yourself out of something you know you're gonna want to do to it later - do it and ride.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to wait a bit I'll let you know how mine work out. I had the 1.75s in my stock Heritage for about 2000 miles when I noticed the bike was losing power and the exhaust sounded different. Louder and tinny sounding. I pulled the baffles and found the fiberglass batting was disintegrated. Contacted Rush and they sent me new batting. Don't know why originals burned out liked they did.

Just reinstalled the new batting and put the slipons back on my bike. Interested in seeing how they work out this time. Only change I've made in the meantime is the nightrider ieds. First thing I'll be looking for is an increase in oil temp. Higher temp should be an indication of a leaner running engine. We'll see.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
qsp01
Advanced

Go for it ... you won't look back

Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

My understanding is that you can do slip-ons by themselves and be OK. When you upgrade air you will need a re-map at least. As you can see, many people suggest going beyond just a re-map (like tuners). I did slip-ons, air and re-map. I have decel popping that I will address one of these days.

Quick Reply: Undecided