Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   where to plumb an oil pressure gauge on an 2004 88B? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/275215-where-to-plumb-an-oil-pressure-gauge-on-an-2004-88b.html)

michael95688 09-08-2008 07:47 PM

where to plumb an oil pressure gauge on an 2004 88B?

Hi all,

I just bought an oil pressure gauge for my 2004 Fat Boy and i'm wondering about where to plumb it into the engine.

The destructions say to put it inline with the OEM oil pressure switch but a cleaner more sensible place to put it would be into one of the oil cooler passages tapped into the oil filter mounting plate.

Pressure is pressure right? Is there a reason not to do it this way aside from many engines not having these passages already tapped?

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

michael95688 09-09-2008 12:28 AM

No replies... No worries. After an hour or so of putting this thing on working sloooow as to minimize scratching anything I fired it up to find a copious oil leak from the source of my original frustration, a 1 1/2" long adaptor which makes the OEM oil pressure switch still function.

My thought was perhaps the swith had a fail safe mode that shut off the ignition and it was needed for the bike to run. No so. Disconnect the oil pressure switch on a 2004 Fat Boy and all you get is no oil light on prior to firing the bike up and I summize no oil pressure light if the oil pressure drops to a predetermined point. What's the point if you are installing a gauge.

The clincher that made me remove the adaptor was that no matter how I tried with teflon tape or joint compound the adaptor still leaked at the "t" which plumbs the gauge. A far simpler way to do this is to eliminate the adaptor and use a 3/8 npt 90 that the gauge AN fitting adapts to. With no downside to not having the OEM pressure switch not connected the installation is much nicer looking and far less likely to leak. it might be a few days for me to finish this and get some pics up but I will do so.

hogdoctor 09-09-2008 01:38 AM

The two pipe plugs screwed into the oil filter passage ends are not for a cooler.
But.. the oem sending unit is screwed into the oil filter inlet passage, if you follow that passage up to the filter you'll see where it feeds into the outer shell of the filter, then the oil goes to the center of the filter and goes back to a second passage. Unplug
this second passage and connect your gauge here if the frame and exhaust will let you.
This way, if for some reason oil can't get through the filter, you'll see the drop in pressure, where the oil light would not tell you.

Hogdoctor

tpolstc 09-09-2008 01:53 AM

On my 07 fxstc all I did was go to home depot and get 1/4 npt with "T" fitting and removed the senser and used liquid teflon no probelms at all spent 10.00 on parts