Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Any Drawbacks to Stainless Steel or Diamondback Cables? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/276013-any-drawbacks-to-stainless-steel-or-diamondback-cables.html)

dobeman21 09-11-2008 08:23 AM

Any Drawbacks to Stainless Steel or Diamondback Cables?

Would like to replace my black stock cables with the stainless steel or diamond back cables-anyone have any problems with them?

oldgeezer 09-11-2008 09:12 AM

The stock boots won't fit and the new cables normally don't come with them.

xxxflhrci 09-11-2008 10:45 AM

Bare stainless will rub and ruin your paint and chrome. Coated stainless will sometimes yellow and have the lube come thru between the coating and stainless weave.....Just two possible drawbacks.

DawgHamilton 09-11-2008 10:47 AM

The Diamondback cables are top quality and not supposed to yellow however they are big $.

DH

CrawdadAZ 09-11-2008 11:15 AM

The Diamondbacks are really sucking right now. They were 3 and a half games ahead just a week ago....... then they forgot how to play baseball! They're givin' it all away to the Dodgers!!

Whoops.............. thought I was in the sports threads. Sorry :)

dobeman21 09-11-2008 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DawgHamilton (Post 3855991)
The Diamondback cables are top quality and not supposed to yellow however they are big $.

DH

Thanks very much for the replies-will
certainly stay away from them.

Clammy 09-11-2008 11:57 AM

I've had stainless cables/front brake cable on Reaper for 3 years now, and have NO yellowing of the coating, OR lube coming through (if that happens, it means the cable has failed, since the stainless steel is covering the rubber sleeve the cables actually run inside).

Cheers!

Nostalgic07 09-11-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Clammy (Post 3856297)
lube coming through (if that happens, it means the cable has failed, since the stainless steel is covering the rubber sleeve the cables actually run inside).

That's correct...it shouldn't yellow unless there's a problem!!

....1 thing I noticed though is I have apes on mine and used the cable clamps to clean up the look, and the clear shrink-wrap coating on the cable became undone, and scuffed where it slides through the clamp(SS cable is not as flexible as standard cable)!

DawgHamilton 09-12-2008 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nostalgic07 (Post 3856498)
That's correct...it shouldn't yellow unless there's a problem!!

....1 thing I noticed though is I have apes on mine and used the cable clamps to clean up the look, and the clear shrink-wrap coating on the cable became undone, and scuffed where it slides through the clamp(SS cable is not as flexible as standard cable)!

I had the same problem where the lines run through the hooe in the trees. As I turned it started to move and rub off the clear so I covered that area with sleeving.

DH

wheely 09-12-2008 07:56 AM

No problems with my HD stainless cables.....looks great!!