Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Can one convert from floorboards to pegs on, say, a FatBoy? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/276250-can-one-convert-from-floorboards-to-pegs-on-say-a-fatboy.html)

Lopoetve 09-11-2008 09:40 PM

Can one convert from floorboards to pegs on, say, a FatBoy?

I love the fatboy looks. Don't like floorboards though, and it's one of the things that's been turning me off from a nice 2003 they have locally (gorgeous bike). Can one remove the floorboards and switch to forward pegs on these?

anubisss 09-11-2008 09:41 PM

Yes. You can get forward controls instead. Some people here have done it.

Lopoetve 09-11-2008 09:59 PM

sweet! My ankles just don't like the angle that I get on the boards - something about my legs being too long >_<

RDKingRider 09-11-2008 10:00 PM

yes, there was a Road King at our state rally that had pegs instead of floorboards

Zacharia_11 09-11-2008 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lopoetve (Post 3858825)
I love the fatboy looks. Don't like floorboards though, and it's one of the things that's been turning me off from a nice 2003 they have locally (gorgeous bike). Can one remove the floorboards and switch to forward pegs on these?

Yup, 2000 up softail forward controls should work fine on the bike. I think there was a change to the brackets in 2007 to make them a little wider, but they mount the same to the bike. You should be able to find a good complete used set on ebay for under 200$. HD sells a set for $319 w/o pegs.

ptibowie 09-12-2008 10:02 AM

Yes you can. My brother did it and it made a world of difference. Regular forward controls look better and feel much better. At least in my opinion.

Lopoetve 09-12-2008 10:44 AM

awesome, just what I wanted to hear - that opens up my options a lot. I just get really sore with my legs bent to lie flat on the boards after a bit - it's an awkward angle, I have a 34" inseam. The forwards on the Softail Classic though, for instance, fit ~perfect~ and are awesomely comfortable. This means I can get a FatBoy! Thanks all!

128auto 09-12-2008 10:47 AM

I love and hate the floorboards. Riding in the city, floorboard is nice. On the highway, I prefer hwy pegs, more comfortable. Bike corners much better without floorboards, I scape mine all the time riding twisties. I still love floorboard and I really don't want to change the look of my Fatboy to something else, know what I am saying?

Lopoetve 09-12-2008 11:02 AM

I definitely agree on the cornering - this will certainly help. I just can't ever get comfy with the boards, or with the rear shift peg either (BIG feet). Moving to forward controls and a highway peg setup will fix both :)

Lucky 13 09-12-2008 09:37 PM

I personally like floor boards but I can tell you its a easy swap to go to forward controls.