Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Rush Exhaust At Highway Speeds (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/285794-rush-exhaust-at-highway-speeds.html)

newdep332 10-13-2008 08:51 PM

Rush Exhaust At Highway Speeds

For those of you with a Heritage and Rush exhaust what size baffle do you use and how loud are they while cruising down the highway at 70-80? I don't want to wear ear plugs or get a headache after a couple hours.

I have the screamin eagles now and cant even hear them on the highway!

I am going to order some and cant decide on baffle size.

Thanks

jimmers1817 10-13-2008 09:20 PM

Everyone has "different ears" but I think my 1.75s are fine at cruising speed. It's only when you rap them that they get really loud.

I went with the 1.75s because no fuel manager was needed and I read a few posts which said the 1.50s had more of a tinny sound to them. The baffles can be easily changed out to a different size if you decide you want to try something diffeent.

Ater I installed the nightrider ieds the pipes acquired a deeper rumble and better sound imo. But I also got some gurgling and occassional light popping on decel. The popping is barely noticible.

FYI, the fiberglass batting burned out in my Rushes after only around 2k. Rush didn't give me any possible cause for the problem but they did send me some new batting free of charge. Seem to be having better luck this time. I'm thinking the nightriders may have cooled the exhaust a bit.???

HDRick 10-13-2008 09:30 PM

Have the 2.0 on mine and at 70-80 MPH the wind noise is as loud as the pipes, so I do wear ear plugs, but they are not that loud. You need to cruise with someone who has RUSH installed then make your decision. Good luck.

6165hd 10-13-2008 09:39 PM

I know you asked for heritage specific, but I never listen/ thats what the wife is always telling me...... anywho!!
I have the 2" baffle and no loud issues at highway speeds, steady 70 mph for 2 hours, no ringin ears........
My baffle matting was burnt and split down the middle, so I took it out and kept it out....
hammer on the throttle,and they got some growl... very cool...........

my 2cents. Its all I got left, anyway$$

newdep332 10-13-2008 09:56 PM

Is the fiberglass burning out a common thing? Should I go with anther brand of pipe?

I think I will go with the 1.75 and see how they sound like you said I can always get new baffles.

Thanks

hardhead 10-13-2008 10:29 PM

2.25 here. loud. not drag pipe loud. highway can be pretty loud. i like to drop the hammer next to cars with their windows down. its funny.

newdep332 10-13-2008 10:38 PM

Thanks for the help.

jimmers1817 10-14-2008 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by newdep332 (Post 3989142)
Is the fiberglass burning out a common thing? Should I go with anther brand of pipe?

I think I will go with the 1.75 and see how they sound like you said I can always get new baffles.

Thanks

Been here awhile, and 6165 is the only other post I've seen about the matting burning out. I can't imagine running the pipes w/o it as he says he does.

The bike running and sounding like crap was what first tipped me off that something was amiss. Pulled the baffles and found the problem. Someone here said a lean running condition could cause hot exhaust resulting in premature burning of the matting. I don't really know. But so far with the nightrider ieds which run richer and presumably cooler, I haven't had a repeat of the problem.

aviator 10-14-2008 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by newdep332 (Post 3988853)
For those of you with a Heritage and Rush exhaust what size baffle do you use and how loud are they while cruising down the highway at 70-80? I don't want to wear ear plugs or get a headache after a couple hours.

I have the screamin eagles now and cant even hear them on the highway!

I am going to order some and cant decide on baffle size.

Thanks

there are lots of us on here running Rushs, and most would invite you along for a ride to check out the sound.....

EXCEPT we don't know where you are!!!!! if you happen to be in South Texas, you can hear the 2" Rushs on my Fatboy.

bdavis385 10-14-2008 10:59 AM

I love my 1.75. They are plenty load at 70 and if you crack the throttle they pick up nicely. As for the batting, I don't believe that it burns out. When I got mine new, I pulled the baffle and it was more like there were peices of batting and they were held in place by masking tape. I think that they don't burn off as much as they get blown out since there is room for them to move around. I went to a Motocross shop, picked up some batting in sheet form ($9) and wrapped them completely. No issues, no burning, no nothing.