Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   popping and then died...2008 train (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/287416-popping-and-then-died-2008-train.html)

boosteddelslow 10-20-2008 05:28 AM

popping and then died...2008 train

I have a 2008 night train. Yesterday I went on a bike run that was about 130 miles long. On the way home I was about 5 miles from my house and my bike started popping and missing real bad and it finally stalled out on me. I coasted to the side of the road and shut everything off for a minute and started it back up. After I fired it back up everything seems fine. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem before. It is almost like the computer got confused for a minute and started messing up. I wonder if it has something to do with the power commander??

jknowlton 10-20-2008 07:43 AM

sorry to hear your issues...I would def. download the power commander and see if it tells you anything...

boosteddelslow 10-20-2008 08:16 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by downloading the power commander??

xFreebirdx 10-20-2008 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by boosteddelslow (Post 4012653)
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by downloading the power commander??

Step one would be to buy the HD service manual specific to your bike. ;)

tmitchellof PG 10-20-2008 09:11 AM

I would suspect the Power Commander also. Do you have the stock air cleaner setup? If you do, why don't you disconnect the PC and have it checked out. First I would check the connections. You shouldn't have any problem without it.
Tom

oldgeezer 10-20-2008 09:38 AM

You can see if your bike threw a diagnostic trouble code. There's a thread in the DIY section that gives the process and shows the codes.

boosteddelslow 10-20-2008 09:48 AM

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Romey 10-20-2008 10:01 AM

I personally think something is amiss on these bikes that MoCo is not telling us. My bike has done this very same thing. It is a stock 2008 Deluxe. There have been numerous postings on this happening to other EFI bikes. Yesterday, I went for a ride and my bike died whenever I would pull up to a stop sign. Now the only thing I can think of as being out of the ordinary this particular day was I didn't let the bike warm up like I normally do before I left the house. I started it up, rolled out the garage, and headed out.I made one stop while out on my ride, and after I restarted the bike it was fine the rest of the trip. The other time it happened I left pretty quick so I wouldn't wake up the neighbors. My bike did the same thing all the way to work which is 45 miles. Did you you let your bike warm up good before heading out?

Romey

boosteddelslow 10-20-2008 10:04 AM

It happened after I had already been riding 50 miles.

jknowlton 10-20-2008 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jknowlton (Post 4012551)
sorry to hear your issues...I would def. download the power commander and see if it tells you anything...

Hook up the power commander to your laptop/computer, and get the read out. Also, do you have stock air intake? Had it dyno'd by someone in your area or pre-mapped?