Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLS update!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:13 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Lightbulb FLS update!

My FLS, has been going through a transformation changed out rear fender, now to wire up tag bolts
And run turn brake lights. Thought of using a touring light bar mounted to fender so bags would be an option
Any suggestions? Or Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails FLS update!-img_0406.jpg   FLS update!-img_0407.jpg   FLS update!-img_0404.jpg   FLS update!-img_0403.jpg   FLS update!-img_0405.jpg  

Last edited by rowan; 12-18-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Ecopot
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow looks great! Really clean. Mounting saddle bags will be way easier if you get a light bar.
Is there one that will fit that fender though?

Old 12-18-2016, 04:50 PM
rowan
Road Master

There's one that is close earlier touring directional bar, I swapped my lights into the bar but was hoping for other ideas? Also thought of alloy art strut lights but am hesitant due to vehicle inspection also thought of the directionals on brackets on the passenger peg mounts but bags would hide them, Or attaching them to axle covers saw this done years ago in the dyna forum.
I will post pics of the bar tomorrow

Old 12-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Springer bags?

It took me a few weeks of searching Craigslist and ebay but I found a nearly new set of springer bags cheap, they will work/ fit with your stock Slim signals.

(yes, mine are chrome but I saved the black originals as well)

My bike is a '13 Slim, I think they changed the red color every year on the Slim.

What year is your Slim? Which tail light are you thinking of using?

As far as Ideas, if you find a light bar, I would go with the Deluxe bullets to match the front signals vs the Heritage "lolly pop" signals. I saw a thread where the guy ground the mounting surface of a light bar so it would fit correctly without the Deluxe/ Heritage fender indents.

Here is my bike with the bags mounted, I am riding without them and the P pad at the moment, but ready to mount for the next trip.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 PM
rowan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jetfever
It took me a few weeks of searching Craigslist and ebay but I found a nearly new set of springer bags cheap, they will work/ fit with your stock Slim signals.

(yes, mine are chrome but I saved the black originals as well)

My bike is a '13 Slim, I think they changed the red color every year on the Slim.

What year is your Slim? Which tail light are you thinking of using?

As far as Ideas, if you find a light bar, I would go with the Deluxe bullets to match the front signals vs the Heritage "lolly pop" signals. I saw a thread where the guy ground the mounting surface of a light bar so it would fit correctly without the Deluxe/ Heritage fender indents.

Here is my bike with the bags mounted, I am riding without them and the P pad at the moment, but ready to mount for the next trip.

The springer classic bags is my thought or switchback hard bags? Thinking of buying fatboy lo outer strut covers and fitting over my struts with shortening them up so they just extend my struts to the end of fender
Only issue would be seam were I shortened them up

Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Default Fatboy Lo = Wide rear tire/ fender

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about Fatboy Lo struts... Careful fitting 2006 and later Fatboy fender parts, they are wider to allow for the wide low profile tire on later models.

Most Heritage and Deluxe parts will bolt right on. The steel inner "bolt on" struts of a Slim are shorter/ lower than the Heritage/ Deluxe outer chrome struts as well, I dont think you can fit just the outer struts. (I could be wrong, the bend at the base might be similar)?

Edit: I just realized you have drilled your new fender with the stock Slim struts, so the bags I have might not bolt right on.

Take a look at parts here online, it helped me:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Last edited by Jetfever; 12-18-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 PM
rowan
Road Master

Fender was a klockwerks fender direct bolt up! No issues.
I was going to source strut covers to cover just the straight part of the slim struts thus extending the struts
To the end of the fender.
This would all depend on the look of the seam were I cut the strut covers. I was thinking only to use the fatboy covers for the straight part of the struts.
Really just looking at covers to partially cover the slim struts and extend out to the end of the fender. What I would be doing is buying the fatboy low strut covers and chopping the front part off and just going with the rear 70% or so of the strut

Last edited by rowan; 12-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain

"Fender was a klockwerks fender direct bolt up"! "No issues".

I understand but I think the bolt pattern for the Springer, Heritage, Deluxe and many bags is DIFFERENT from the Slim strut bolt pattern. That was the issue I was trying to point out, I did not know the Klockwerks fender came pre drilled though.

"I was going to source strut covers to cover just the straight part of the slim struts thus extending the struts
To the end of the fender".

This could work!!! Great Idea!

"This would all depend on the look of the seam were I cut the strut covers. I was thinking only to use the fatboy covers for the straight part of the struts.
Really just looking at covers to partially cover the slim struts and extend out to the end of the fender. What I would be doing is buying the fatboy low strut covers and chopping the front part off and just going with the rear 70% or so of the strut[/QUOTE]"

Once you fit saddlebags it might even cover the seam at the forward end of the 70%, and painted black the seam would be difficult to see, unlike chrome.

Good luck! I look forward to your mod!

Steve

Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 AM
Ecopot
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are just going to cut them, can you find used parts? Outer fender struts from older years should be really cheap.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:04 PM
rowan
Road Master

Originally Posted by rowan
My FLS, has been going through a transformation changed out rear fender, now to wire up tag bolts
And run turn brake lights. Thought of using a touring light bar mounted to fender so bags would be an option
Any suggestions? Or Ideas?
Pic of light bar just need to figure spacing above tag

Attached Thumbnails FLS update!-img_0408.jpg  

Quick Reply: FLS update!