Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Marked up pipes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/290483-marked-up-pipes.html)

firecwp 11-01-2008 02:36 PM

Marked up pipes

I have an '07 heritage and have marked up my pipes. Looks like boots have been melting and leaving black residue. This is from rider and passanger. Any suggestion on how to remove the hardened black mess? Secondly, how can this be prevented in the future? My thought is extensions for the boards. Also, is this a normal occurance? Thanks for your help.

Cheesecake 11-01-2008 03:58 PM

I have heard that oven cleaner works.... spray it on when they are cold... heat them up and wipe the stuff off.....
as far as how to keep it from happening again.... don't touch the pipes with your boots... and if that is not an option ride bare foot... you will definitely not touch them again

128auto 11-01-2008 03:59 PM

Steel wool, trust me it works best without making a mess.

SVT WUT 7 11-01-2008 04:34 PM

I just got this stuff from my dealer that's in a container that looks like it should be deodorant. Just rub it on the marks like you are applying deodorant when the pipes are cool and they disappear. It takes quite a few back and forth rubs....but works great and doesn't scratch the chrome.

Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

imboden 11-01-2008 06:07 PM

I used to use 0000 grade steel wool, but trust me from experience man, that stuff will eventually scratch up the chrome.

try the oven cleaner, works like a charm. theres also a polish out there called blue job that will take care of it if it's not caked on.

hdbe 11-01-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SVT WUT 7 (Post 4061877)
I just got this stuff from my dealer that's in a container that looks like it should be deodorant. Just rub it on the marks like you are applying deodorant when the pipes are cool and they disappear. It takes quite a few back and forth rubs....but works great and doesn't scratch the chrome.

Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

Its called ROAD RUB and it works great.

tnharley7 11-01-2008 09:37 PM

I have used #0000 steel wool along with Mothers Chrome cleaner/polish and it has always removed burned on residue without scratching the chrome. Just keep the steel wool wet with the chrome cleaner and it works great.

anubisss 11-01-2008 09:48 PM

Here s how I did it. Warm up bike and pipes. Spray easy off oven cleaner on a RAG not directly on bike. Wipe peipes with rag. Wash off oven cleaner howeever you choose. It comes off much easier if the pipes are warm.

SVT WUT 7 11-01-2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by hdbe (Post 4062262)
Its called ROAD RUB and it works great.

Bingo!!

powaypete 11-01-2008 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by anubisss (Post 4062944)
Here s how I did it. Warm up bike and pipes. Spray easy off oven cleaner on a RAG not directly on bike. Wipe peipes with rag. Wash off oven cleaner howeever you choose. It comes off much easier if the pipes are warm.

and I endorse the above, It don't take much and Momma will never know you used some of her stuff.