Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Considering a late model Heritage (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/292364-considering-a-late-model-heritage.html)

TXGlide 11-08-2008 10:35 PM

Considering a late model Heritage

Hi Folks,

Just totalled my 09 Street Glide last week....see the "She's dead Jim" thread in the Touring forum for more details.

Anyway, thinking about going a different direction and have half an eye on a '08 Heritage with 9K on it (spoiled by the 96CI and 6 speed on my FLHX), along with a couple others.

In general, I have been looking at late model softails - any input on known problems, years to avoid, what to look out for, best years to buy, etc.?

Any input is appreciated, thanks for your time.

Bowtieman31 11-08-2008 11:06 PM

Your asking for a subjective opinion, so here's mine. I own two Heritage softails. One is 2003, purchased new, currently has 65K miles on it. The other is an 2007, purchesd new, currently has 30K miles on it. I've ridden both across the US and into Canada several times. Both bikes are extremely comfortable for me. No tragic problems with either one. I wouldn't hesitate to ride either one, anywhere, anytime. As far as I'm concerned they are both GREAT bikes.

ChromeJunkie 11-09-2008 03:37 AM

I have an 06 purchased new. It has 60,000 miles on it and like Bowtie man said, I wouldn't hesitate to ride it cross country.

silverrosie 11-09-2008 11:03 AM

Sorry about your ride. I bought a 2008 Heritage Softail early this summer. Have almost 5,000 miles on it and absolutely loving it. It sits with a great center of gravity and the handlebars are easy on the shoulders and elbows. I'm 5'6" and can manouver it easily. After buying my softail I would be surprised if I ever rode another design. My husband has a Street Bob and says that he might go with a Heritage when he buys another bike. Have fun making your choice.

Silverrosie

FLTRU4ME 11-09-2008 12:49 PM

I had a 04 Ultra that I sold and bought a new 08 Heritage this summer. I love the Heritage. Much easier to handle and just unbelievably smooth.

TexFordD 11-09-2008 05:00 PM

Have an 08 with 11K+.
Seat could be a little softer.
But at 275 I guess that's my fault.
Otherwise okay...

Sleeko 11-09-2008 05:15 PM

Did you take one out for a spin yet? If not, try one. I think you will like how she sits / rides.
Quite a bit different position from the Sg (I just rode an '09 friday). You are down in the bike. Both are very smooth though. Sorry about your bike.

5speedblu 11-09-2008 07:33 PM

Had a 91 Hertiage for 14 years no problems with it ever.
You do sit in the bike & it handles better a SG you will love it

powaypete 11-09-2008 08:10 PM

Heritage Softail = ?? bike in 1.

Come from the factory as a "Road King" style bagger.
Take the bags and windshild off, its a Fat Boy.

Comparing it to a bagger, you will notice that the floorboards are about 2 inches forward which means you have more leg room.

If you want music while you ride, use an ipod system.

GREAT BIKE and feels like an older Harley without all the weekly tightening (If you get the twin cam).

I enjoy my Twin Cam Heritage. No extras that I didn't want in the first place.

RDKingRider 11-09-2008 08:20 PM

Wife has a 08 and she has logged in over 9000 this summer. It is a good riding bike. No problems what so ever.