Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing button seat and rack on 08 Deluxe

Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
rockercsx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing button seat and rack on 08 Deluxe

Has anyone removed the button seat and rack off the rear fender of a Deluxe? If so do you have a picture and did you have any troubles?
thanks.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removed mine a few times. Very easy, only three bolts for the rack. I use a fender bib when the seat and rack are off.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

It is simple but you will have three holes in the fender to cover or fill.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Default Rack/pillion removal

If I'm not mistaken (it's been a year since I had the rack off) you will drop the nuts and and a metal reinforcement piece when you take off the rack bolts. I think I accessed them again to put them back on by removing the ECU plastic tray? I take the pillion off but I leave the rack on. I bought a fender bid for the deluxe that I leave on the bike. The rack's bolts go through it so the rack is on top of the bib. When the pillion is off the fender has a finished look to it and the crappy protecto plastic can be removed. Pillion goes right on top of the rack and bib when that's in use.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Mystic
Cruiser

I removed mine with no problems. When you take off your passenger seat, turn the seat over and look underneath it. You should see a chrome plug stuck in a little holder that will cover the bigger hole that will be in your fender once you remove the seat and rack. Harley also makes the plugs for the smaller holes in the fender. I don't remember the part number right off hand, but do a search and you should be able to find it. They make both chrome and black plugs. There is a film over your fender that is under the passenger seat to protect the fender from scratches. I removed the film from my bike because I never put the passenger seat back on, but if you wanted to replace it, Harley sells that too. The rack you see on my bike is not the stock rack. My aftermarket rack uses the bigger hole left by removing the seat and I got the chrome plugs I mentioned to plug the two smaller holes.

Last edited by Mystic; 12-16-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Niddite
Cruiser

I have an '07 Deluxe and removed the rack and pillion seat. Seat comes off easy enough and the rack as well. I can only speak for my '07 but I had nothing drop. The single bolt hole in the middle of the fener is threaded. The only thing you do not want to do is remove the plastic washers/retainers on the seat bolts. They hold the bolts in place and I have read on other posts that if these come off the bolts drop and they are a pain to put back in from beneath the fender. As for looks without the rack and seat it is ace! I used a bib and liked the look until I put my bags on. Once the bags were on I wanted a bit more above the fender for asthetic reasons so I put my rack back on. I think there are some before and after style phots in my album. Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Niddite
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mystic
I removed mine with no problems. When you take off your passenger seat, turn the seat over and look underneath it. You should see a chrome plug stuck in a little holder that will cover the bigger hole that will be in your fender once you remove the seat and rack. Harley also makes the plugs for the smaller holes in the fender. I don't remember the part number right off hand, but do a search and you should be able to find it. They make both chrome and black plugs. There is a film over your fender that is under the passenger seat to protect the fender from scratches. I removed it from my bike because I never put the passenger seat back on.

Mystic,

I just want to say that you got one sweet Deluxe! Nice color choice too!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Niddite
I can only speak for my '07 but I had nothing drop. The single bolt hole in the middle of the fener is threaded. The only thing you do not want to do is remove the plastic washers/retainers on the seat bolts.
+1 on the 08s. just take it apart and you will see what's up.
nothing to worry about at all

Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Mystic
Cruiser

Thanks a bunch Niddit. Just last week I had the front end chromed out, added the chrome front brake caliper and steel braided cables. I've also added the chrome switch housings since those pictures were taken.
Have you seen the latest American Iron mag? I'm thinking there is an old Sportster in it with bags like yours. Looks great! You have a great color too!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

It is real simple. I went to Ace and got some plastic auto interior plugs and painted them gloss balck. They match up perfect. My chrome plug fell out one day, so back to Ace for a chrome bolt that sits flush.