Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

topped up oil and now pop pop pop bang

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 AM
eddy666
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default topped up oil and now pop pop pop bang

Hey guys, im a new dude here and was hoping someone could help me out. I just got an 87 softail and its got a slight oil leak or two so after riding it for about 2 weeks i had a look at the oil level and noticed it was a bit low. I got some MOTUL twin syn 20/50 oil and topped it up and rode to work without any worries but when i went to ride home it started missing and backfiring and generally limped home sounding like ****. I looked in the oil tank and the oil had a lot of bubbles in it and seems really thin/watery, more than i expected anyway. I pulled the plugs out and they are both very black/sooty but dry. How high do i top the oil up? There was at least 2 inches of dip stick dry so i didnt think i overfilled it. How high up the dipstick do i fill it? I was told to go about an inch or so from the rubber stopper on the dipstick, does this sound right? Could i have screwed the motor by mixing synthetic with whatever oil was in the tank originally?? Please help me out as im gonna spew if the bloody thing is buggered just coz the oil was overfilled or mixed with a non compatible oil if that can happen, cheers for any advice.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the plugs are fouled. Do a little service and change the oil, filter and plugs. The dipstick should have a mark for full. Check your owners manual. Use a good quality oil and dont mix it. And as soon as possible, track down your leaks and fix them.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with chief101.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 AM
eddy666
Stage III

Hi chief, thanks for the quick reply. The dipstick has a mark about 1cm up from the bottom but no full/empty signs and the manual i got from previous owner is for all softails 84-99 and it seems a little vague, but it says fill the oil right up to the bottom of the rubber stopper. Does this seem right to you??? I initially thought that i should fill it to the mark on the dipstick, seems logical or else why would there be a mark there at all? I am getting it booked in at local HD dealer for service and to fix the leaks but not for another week. I think i will fit new plugs and drain oil to the mark and see what happens when i run it, whats your thoughts mate.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

check the plugs. they should be a white color. if they are black and tar covered they are fouled. also check to make sure the gap has not closed due to buildup of soot. if you dont know the last time the bike had an oil change i would drain it and start fresh. you shouldnt have to fill the oil tank more than half way up the dipstick. and that is when the bike has been run for a while. if you cannot determine the level from the stick, check your manual it will tell you how many liters to put in. you cannot go wrong using the manual.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 AM
flst06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't seem like the two events are related, i.e., topping off your oil and bike running crappy. The dip-stick and guidance in the manual may be vague, especially if it's an aftermarket dipstick, but the manual should give you the correct amount of oil to put in w/ an oil change.

I would change the oil IAW the manual then note the level on the dipstick for future reference.

Change the plugs and wires (or test the wires) as previously mentioned.

I had an old Ironhead (if I remember correctly) the manual said to refill the tank to the bottom of the filler neck with the bike on the jiffy-stand. To check the oil (using the dip-stick) the bike had to be upright and level.

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

also i would do a search on the forum. there are countless topics on oil changes/types to use for each model out there. read all of them and form your own educated opinion. if in doubt call a HD mechanic. usually information is free. good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Duke

Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

so do you actually fill a softail to the full mark?
and is that straight up or on the stand?

you don't with a Sportster

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
rusty1200
Tourer

One thing I do know is on older bikes you needed to check the oil level with the bike upright not on the jiffy stand. The other thing I would do is change the oil and filter right away without mixing different oils. In addition, if the bike had been sitting for a while, is it possible the fuel went bad and is fouling the plugs.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i know what you mean by the mark on the dipstick. i never go by it. i always start my bike and run it for a few minutes then stand it upright, on a stand, and check it. its suppose to be just a little below the neck in the oil tank. i then put it on the kickstand and check the dipstick and its always a little above the mark on it, so i used a felt marker to mark it. but i never go ny the mark if the bike has been sitting, after all some of the oil could of gone past the check ball and is back in the sump and when you start it, if you topped it off cold, you could be to full.

Quick Reply: topped up oil and now pop pop pop bang