Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive "Drop-In" Lowering Kit

Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM
rusty1200
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive "Drop-In" Lowering Kit

Has anyone installed the newer Progressive Drop-In Front lowering kit? Much easier install, just wondering how you like the ride. Thanks for feedback.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No i havent but also interested in feedback on this.. I saw their install video and looks very easy to do.. I curious like u how would the handling and suspension feel.. anyone

Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 AM
bgibbster
Tourer

Well I bought one on Monday and am waiting for it to get to the house. It should be here on the 22nd, so I will give an update when possible.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 AM
5speedblu
Road Captain

this is part of an old post

Don’t get me wrong the Progressive shock company makes one of the best quality products out there, no question.
And this is not to bash them.

I see a lot of chat & recommendations about progressive shocks but I wonder if every body knows what progressive wound shocks are all about? And how they react in BUMPY corners.

Anybody know what Progressive & Linear means when we talk about shocks?

And I know that almost every High performance part has the warning that they are for “track use only” or may not be legal in some states, blah blah blah.

But does any body know how “progressive” wound springs react over bumps in corners or in a skid or god forbid all 3?

You should before you spend big bucks on shocks.

It seems a lot of people buy Progressive shocks without knowing, that the name implies the type of winding & what different shock windings do.
Or at least my friends do.

You must take into consideration spring diameter, tolerances & windings when setting up a new suspension. Also keep in mind the difference the compressed shock under weight or the “bound”, and the shocks ability to extend or “rebound”.
Also important to most of us in the 1st place is ride height.

Linear springs are stock in most HDs and have a constant shape to the winding.
They are mostly comfy & cushy if long enough & balanced. The key word is “long enough” or as we see it ride height. This is why Electra glides ride so soft.

Progressive spring windings are wide on one end and close together on the other.
They are by nature a lot stiffer if not long enough (for us at least because most HD progressive shocks are shorter to lower our bikes & that’s the problem)

Shorter & progressive wound means a lot stiffer.
Not a problem if you are heavy or ride 2up a lot.
But for light weight riders it can make your bike feel like a hard tail.

If you lower your bike you will need a heavier spring /bound weight to avoid bottoming out.

Since HDs have a limited range of travel, sometimes after lowering a bike you can simply adjust the shock with a spanner wrench to increase the bound weight & reduce the un-sprung mass
(On Softail’s this will also ride stiffer but will maintain even spring rate & bike control.

In short;

Linear springs are constant. The weight travels from front to back & side to side and most important shock to shock smoothly & consistently.

It is easier for a rider to predict the rate of linear springs & there fore handle bumpy cornering emergencies a lot easier. I said bumpy!!!

Progressive wound springs increase rate as they compress or “bind”.

“Progressive” wound springs transfer force a lot more un-evenly from shock to shock in a bumpy corner than linear springs. Witch requires a lot more skill to maneuver & get used to in an emergency.

But who has time to get use to uneven spring rate in a bumpy corner in an emergency?

That is why progressive wound springs belong MOSTLY on the track. Where there are no bumps.

Progressive wound springs will also give you the most traction vs. power transfer loss in acceleration.

Just an example
Look at the current dirt bikes they have no ride height issues, they now have one huge (long)
Progressive shock, if they had 2 they would be all over the place.

Before you bash me to much you progressive lovers, take note of how many times I said “mostly” to c.m.a

Of course this will not pertain to all but “most” ha ha ha…

Just wanted every one to know because

Most dealers/suppliers will sell us anything without pointing out the dangers or benefits.

So I will go as far as to say if you never plan on encountering a bumpy corner or never going to have to react in an emergency in one, go ahead and put progressive wound springs on.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 AM
rusty1200
Tourer

5speedblu - Thanks for your honest and open remarks however, I think you missed what I'm asking about. These springs are for the forks, not rear shocks. I'm asking about the front of the bike, not the back.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

sorry, you will get the same result from progressive in the front also.

But some like em, good luck & post pics when done.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The big questions nobody seems to ask is "spring rate" with consideration to the riders own weight.
If you want to buy true front or rear springs tuned for your own particular weight, look at www.racetech.com