Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Question for yall tree swingers. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/313716-question-for-yall-tree-swingers.html)

I CUT 1 02-02-2009 06:46 PM

Question for yall tree swingers.

I'm flinging the idea about trying some 16" or 18" apes in place of the t-bars I have now. So I would like to know how bad does the bars and your arms block your view of the road and what's around you? I ride to work, ALOT, and that means dark mornings and sometimes nights. And I'm thinking that apes might give the since of looking down the sights of a gun. I like aiming for the road, not the damn deer I didn't or couldn't see.

pawpawsoftail 02-02-2009 07:48 PM

Hello. I ride a '99 softail and my bike came with 16" on it. I love em, they are the first apes I have ever riden with and they are great. I always said that I would never have any apes on anything I owned but I do. After you get them set at the best angle to fit you I think you will like them. I have taken a few decent length trips and they still didn't bother my arms, they do take some gettin use to but I did after a short time. I have never noticed a problem of them blocking my view at all. Good luck.

57RebelRocker 02-02-2009 08:02 PM

had apes on prior rides and my line of vision was never affected

SAS 02-02-2009 08:24 PM

No issues here

SniperCJ 02-02-2009 08:34 PM

Got 16's on the Bob. No problems seeing around me. Unless youre real tall, I'd think pretty hard about going to 18's.

sawinwa 02-02-2009 10:02 PM

I'm putting some 16's on my 07 fxstc right now. I considered taller ones but after sitting on a number of bikes I decided that for longer distances I'd prefer that my hands not be (much) higher than my shoulders... too tiring being way up there. To each their own... the 16's and the ergonomics of my bike were just a combo that felt good to me.

ambientgravy 02-02-2009 10:16 PM

sawinwa, what length cables are you using for the 16" apes? I'm putting 16"ers on mine soon, too. but don't know what length cables i need.

frenchman 02-02-2009 10:18 PM

It also depends on your state laws, how tall you are, what seat you use, if your bike is lowered etc. If it is just for the looks, then go for it. Get an inexpensive 1" diameter first, and some cables, and try it out. You don't need to mess with onternal wiring if it is just for a try. If you like it, you can always switch to an expensive 1 1/4 or even 1 1/2 later and pull your cables through it. Sometimes, you can find a deal on cables from ppl who did the opposite and switched from apes to drag bars, on e bay, craigslist or, I guess, even here. As for the cables, it depends on the width of your apes, too. I found some from 34.5 to 40 inches.

dusty2221 02-03-2009 08:27 AM

I've got 14's, no issues here.

Foley 02-03-2009 09:04 AM

I have 16's and love them. It took a little bit of riding around to get them situated where they felt comfortable, but now that they're all set I would never go back.