Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two of the easiest things I've done to my bike - and a story about lame *** HD Techs.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two of the easiest things I've done to my bike - and a story about lame *** HD Techs.

1. Adjusting my clutch
2. Installing the Aux Running lights

Two of the easiest fixes I've done to my bike ...and a story about lame HD Techs

(keep in mind I'm just learning - new bike)

The running lights were almost too easy, plug and play adapter and two red turn signals in the back. I can hardly brag about doing that, but I was surpised how easy it was to pop on.

The clutch comes with a story about how lame HD Techs can be ...
I took my bike in for the 1K service (was quoted $275 and they charged me $350) When I rode off I notice that my clutch was REALLY hard to squeeze, was opened wider that it was when I brought it in, and my friction zone had been reduced to the last 1/4' of a wide open clutch. I didnt know what had changed so I took it back to HD. They said it was adjusted right and that I just needed to get used to it. (and was a total sarcastic d1ckhead about it)

I took them at their word and rode off, clutch still bugged me so I started looking up how to adjust clutch on teh internet (service book is my next purchase, I couldn't afford on right now) I found out what I needed to know and it turns out that the techs and tightened my clutch cable all the way in and then some. There was no gap at all between the level and the housing and was overly tight. I read that the service manual says to keep a 1/8" gap between the lever ..or the size of a dime. I adjusted my cable to my liking (witch was VERY easy to do) ... the gap is about 2 nickles wide. Now my friction zone is more towards a full gripped clutch and its MUCH easier to pull.

Long story short, I pay 20K for a bike, I get the extended service plan, I get over charged for my 1K service, they over tighten the clutch, I take the bike in and descibe my issue (because at the time I didnt know what was wrong with it) ...and they dont give a ****. I had to look it up and fix it myself!! WTF am I paying for here?

I'm glad I did that because I'll be doing more of my own work on the bike from now on but man, HD Techs really suck sometimes.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
rusty1200
Tourer

You should make a printout of this thread and give it to the service manager at your dealer. Then you may want t think about a different dealer if there is another one close. If that doesn't get you anywhere, call customer service at the national office. That is terrible service.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
hellfish
Tourer

I just called them and spoke to the service manager. He said that was unnacceptabe, he knew the tech I was talking about (sounds like the guys might even have a history of such a thing from the manager's tone of voice) he appologized, gave me his number and said to contact him with any more issues.

I mean, I dont want to seem like a baby here ...but what I told him is I was really surpsied that this happened to me with choosing Harley Davidson.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
binks2201
1st Gear
Default Not All Dealers Are Bad

Have a 2008 Heritage and the Best Service Department I've ever dealt with! 1000 & 5000 mile inspections were free except for fluids (and the oil change cost less than my truck). He covered a couple of loose parts (passenger peg kept slipping down and one bag buckle came loose) under basic warranty. With This kind of service I'm glad I bought my bike at this dealer even after looking at the same bike at two other dealers.
Again just like auto dealers don't judge all Harley Dealerships the same. For new buyers I heartily recommend asking other riders about their experience with the dealer's service department as you will be spending time getting to know them over the long course of ownership.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Yeah I agree. My issue was more of with the Tech than Harley itself of course. I was just shocked that they would employ someone that acted like that. If he was like that with my, I'm sure it wasnt the first time. Plus when I first purchased bike, the clutch wasnt adjusted right and it went out on my in the middle of an intersection 15 minutes after purchase. They had to come pick me up and get it setup right. They gave some excuse that they got the bike from a dealer in Ft. Worth and assumed they already did the initial setup. I guess this dealer's service dept (HD of North Texas in Carrollton) is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

...and maybe my clutch is cursed!!!! lol

Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Gobike
Intermediate

Cut the cord!! Buy the book and learn to do it yourself!!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you live and you learn sorry sir

Last edited by m i k e; 02-03-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have had for the most part good dealings over the years with dealerships...and if I don't feel right about what they're telling me I'll talk to certain individuals I've known at the dealer over the years and they will take care of it for me...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hellfish

Long story short, I pay 20K for a bike, I get the extended service plan, I get over charged for it) ...and they dont give a ****. I had to look it up and fix it myself!! WTF am I paying for here?

I'm glad I did that because I'll be doing more of my own work on the bike from now on but man, HD Techs really suck sometimes.
dont worry i had to pound my dealer in da face toget them to install lowering kit
that"couldn't be done to a rocker c"my a$$

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gobike
Cut the cord!! Buy the book and learn to do it yourself!!
Maybe after a few more posts, you'll learn how to read better.

To quote myself ...
"(service book is my next purchase, I couldn't afford one right now)"

...or should I be flattered that you used your very first post to bag on me?

Last edited by hellfish; 02-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two of the easiest things I've done to my bike - and a story about lame *** HD Techs.