Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy--w/V&H Big Radius 2-1's...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Blues Rocker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy--w/V&H Big Radius 2-1's...opinions

Guys,
I am buying my Fat Boy tomorrow (weather permitting!). I need to decide on pipes today. My favorite look from all the pics I've seen is the Fat Boy with Big Radius 2-1's. I love that tone, but am concerned about tickets and such. A few questions:

1.) With baffles in, are they considered one of the loudest legal pipes?
2.) Do they permit 2-up riding without burning or blowing the rider's ear drums out?
3.) What would be the next best (medium loud) pipes that you'd recommend for the Fat Boy?

I know this is very subjective. I don't want to appear vain here, but this time around (after the Heritage) I want a more ballsy look rather than old school (wire spokes, etc). I can always buy old school again.
Unlike some of you, I really like and respect my neighbors, so I don't want to become a sore spot, but my gosh, I cannot get my mind off of those Big Radius's. That is the look I'm aiming for. Long shots or Pro Pipes might be a better (wiser?) choice, all things considered. I had Pro Pipes on my Heritage and don't want to get too much louder than those. Anyone have a Fat Boy pic with V&H Pro Pipes?

Please post soon to help me decide!

Thanks,
Blues Rocker

Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Lowbro
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Vance and Hines if they make the Quit Baffles for the 2to1. I heard some folks fabing thier own 2into2 baffles for the radius,since they are way too loud for some.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

2 into 1 doesn't sound as loud as 2 into 2 big radius imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hz1D...e=channel_page

Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
justkiding
Advanced

Had a friend just install the 2-1 on his Fat Boy it looks dam good. He said he thought it was a little loud, but thats what he wanted. Totally changed that bike.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Take a look at mine, I think they fit the Fatboy perfectly. The sound is great and I take my 10 year old daughter for rides. She doesn't say anything about them being too loud. I just take it real easy when I leave the driveway early in the morning so that I don't **** the neighbors off. Everytime I stop, I get compliments from other bikers about my pipe.
It has a nice deep rumble to it and I can make it growl if I let it go.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Boy--w/V&H Big Radius 2-1's...opinions-img_0051.jpg   Fat Boy--w/V&H Big Radius 2-1's...opinions-img_0055.jpg   Fat Boy--w/V&H Big Radius 2-1's...opinions-img_0074.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
msankey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
Take a look at mine, I think they fit the Fatboy perfectly. The sound is great and I take my 10 year old daughter for rides. She doesn't say anything about them being too loud. I just take it real easy when I leave the driveway early in the morning so that I don't **** the neighbors off. Everytime I stop, I get compliments from other bikers about my pipe.
It has a nice deep rumble to it and I can make it growl if I let it go.

How is that fuelpak working out for you? I am in the market for new pipes as well. I want to use the fuelpak but every parts department that I have called has told me that it is a bad choice. Of course, I don't believe them because they want to sell the 500 dollar hd one.

I don't want to copy you but, man, those 2 into 1's sure look good.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by msankey
How is that fuelpak working out for you? I am in the market for new pipes as well. I want to use the fuelpak but every parts department that I have called has told me that it is a bad choice. Of course, I don't believe them because they want to sell the 500 dollar hd one.

I don't want to copy you but, man, those 2 into 1's sure look good.
I have 6646km (4129 miles) on my bike now, and I had the dealer put the pipe, S/E Stage1 A/C, and Fuelpak on before I even picked up the bike. It runs great and I love the sound of the V&H BR 2-1. I can cruise by the cops and let it idle with no problem, and if I wanna get on it, it'll growl. Music to my ears!
With the Fuelpak, I seem to get good gas mileage. I never calculated it or anything, but I can go a fair distance before having to fill up the tank. For the price, and since I'm not gonna do any internal engine work, it's the right fir for me. Nice and simple.
If you don't want to go with the Fuelpak, and don't mind spending a bit more cash, I'd go for the Power Commander V which is more adjustable, then you can get Autotune as well.

By the way, I'm not copying you either, but I bought a set of those chrome wheels like you have. I'm just waiting for them and the bearings to come in at the dealer, then get them installed. Nice wheels!