Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypercharger causeing me to burn plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
bL33d
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypercharger causeing me to burn plugs...

Was running rich with smaller pipes so went back to 2.5" pipes and went for first time with hypercharger on out of town got her up to 75 started cutting out and ran like crap home.

Checked plugs white as hell. New plugs did same thing again. Was dumb founded threw my tear drop air filter back on and went the rest of the day without a problem. And ran around town yesterday with no problems(w/ hypercharger but no highspeeds).

I think maybe getting to much air when at high speeds.....? I also threw baffles back in and all seems fine now and i plan on leaving baffles in. But i would like to have my hypercharger on

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a carb and try ram air effect, it will run lean due to the fact you take some of the vacume away at the back side needed to suck fuel. However, I didn't think the charger was capable of ramming due to a hole in it somewhere to actually prevent that. A carb will cut in and out if rammed with air and won't maintain steady rpm, plus will be really lean when doing that. Did you plug up that hole???????? There are the other usual culprits to look at as well like intake leaks , vacume hose leaks, low fuel flow to the carb, etc.
Ron

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a high speed jet change would fix ya in a jiff

Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
bL33d
Cruiser

I did not plug that hole and ya thats what i thought that it would just let the excess out that opening. But it also has a kn filter in it and the tear drop breather just has a standard filter....

Just abit lost here i was running without baffles aswell.

But with the tear drop breather and baffles in it runs fine.

So i think it needs more fuel but im not sure how to adjust the carb. it is jetted or atleast appears to be as the screw is visible/drilled out.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do the plugs look with the teardrop and baffles? It sounds like you need more jet and may be lean with the present setup. (just a little) sounds like the hypercharger is putting more air in it, at least higer pressure.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
bL33d
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
How do the plugs look with the teardrop and baffles? It sounds like you need more jet and may be lean with the present setup. (just a little) sounds like the hypercharger is putting more air in it, at least higer pressure.

About just right as far as i can tell and going by a picture of a "perfect burn" plug i think its pretty close. A little on teh blacker side then grey kinda think if i leave the full baffles in that i might be able to use the hypercharger.

Main reason for wanting hypercharger is leg clearance.

Last edited by bL33d; 02-09-2009 at 10:09 PM.