Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Jockey shift (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/316779-jockey-shift.html)

Ole Coyote 02-12-2009 01:39 PM

Jockey shift

Any comments from one of you guys that have riden a bike with a jockey shift. This one has a clutch on the shifter so I would be able to use both feet durning a stop. I'm thinking about putting one on my bike. All my buds think I'm nuts. They have no faith in me.

Grump/ Pastor Tom, how about it.

jknowlton 02-12-2009 02:13 PM

its nicknamed a suicide shifter for a reason..

Looks damn cool..give it a whirl why not?

travis dasher 02-12-2009 03:02 PM

I think it will look awesome on the Bones. Props to ya Coyote if you do it. I thought about it but I live up a big ass hill so a traditional suicide is out. I was thinking of a jockey-style shifter lever with a clutch lever on it. That way you can put both feet on the ground. Not on the top of the to-do list but it is still on it. I might do it later on. Post some pics if you do it.

softail04 02-12-2009 03:20 PM

first thing it's not a suicide shift it's a suicide clutch and should be not problem I rode them back in my younger days and have managed to live to 67 yo so far.. have some fun

Whoad00d 02-12-2009 03:23 PM

hmm pm me with the set you are thinking about putting on if you do it and like it let me know i have always wanted to do that looks wicked

crazybastid83 02-12-2009 07:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I run a suicide clutch with a tank shifter on my 06 springer. If you buy any set up, get one from Labriola Machine. Their bracketry is thick, it looks OEM. Their set up has a clutch cable that will not hit your tire or fender. You get what you pay for.

If you go jockey shift, go all the way. Getting a clutch on the shifter is faking it. It is just a decoration. If you are not going to walk the walk, don't do it.

These new bikes are easy to find nuetral, so it won't be a problem at a light. You just pop it into nuetral when coming to a light. I ride to work daily (except Jan/Feb usually) in NJ. I often ride into NYC with it. Give a real suicide clutch a try, you will enjoy it. I ride so many miles that riding was getting boring, the suicide clutch adds some fun to the ride.

My wife rides a street glide. She was hit by a car a few years ago and had 4 surgeries on her ankle. A few months ago, I bought a Crossbones. I thought she might like to ride that around town and the SG on long trips, due to her ankle. If she does not like riding the Crossbones, I am going suicide clutch and jockey shift.

Back in the day, most guys were running their bike without a front brake, which really made it a suicide clutch.

crazybastid83 02-12-2009 07:13 PM

Here is the best jockey shift/suicide clutch setup

http://lajockeyshifter.com/

NavyPT 02-12-2009 07:16 PM

That shifter really sets your springer apart. I love the look.

PastorTom 02-12-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote (Post 4541836)
Any comments from one of you guys that have riden a bike with a jockey shift. This one has a clutch on the shifter so I would be able to use both feet durning a stop. I'm thinking about putting one on my bike. All my buds think I'm nuts. They have no faith in me.

Grump/ Pastor Tom, how about it.

Yup... Rode a chopped rigid pan with a sucide clutch, jocky shift and spool wheel up front.. (No front brake) for many many of my early years.. Have thought about converting my custom as well.. Found the kit on E-Bay.. then common sense prevailed.... If I had somethin else for a daily driver it might be different..But I ride the Sloptail everyday everywhere from early spring till late fall no matter what the weather.... Carry one of the squirnin kids on a regular basis..
Ride inna pack with the rest of the group all the time.. Im getten up there (53) Knees are bad.. and have some pretty severe arthritus top ta bottom.. Leave the jocky shifts ta the youngins.. Just my .02
PT

pococj 02-12-2009 07:25 PM

Been running rocker clutch w/tank shift (actually frame-mounted) or suicide & jockey since 1981. Once you get it, you got it. Then everything else is just for wannabes. (Lighten up, ya friggin' poseurs, it's a joke!)

Seriously, go with the foot clutch & hand shift, and not with the clutch lever on the shift arm. And LaBriola is the best. Stay far, far, far away from any V-Twin (aka Taiwan Tedd) repop stuff.

Oh, I'm 56 years young, and PT is a geezer wannabe! :D