Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing rocker box gasket and rocker boxes(07fxst)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 AM
hddee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing rocker box gasket and rocker boxes(07fxst)

im replacing my rocker boxes from the stock polished one to chrome billet ones. i was told with the gaskets the metal one on the bottom just sits there with no sealer on it.it makes you wonder how this will seal and i think the top rocker gasket is a rubber one which you can understand being rubber it will seal ok. is there any secrets to getting a good seal or is that setup just the way it goes together plus any pointers on changing the covers would be great

Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
hddee
Advanced

also is it true the pushrods are self adjusting so when i pull the rocker boxes off i can leave the pushrods where they are lift the covers off and just put new ones on then tighten everything down and they adjust themselves

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall the manual ever stating that for the pushrods... according to the manual you need to unload the lifters for each one your working on. I changed out my rocker boxes on an 07 fxst and that's not how it's done. You should get a manual first off and follow it step by step.

Not sure what your saying about the gasket.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gaskets seal w/o anything else. You need a manual. There is a specific torque sequence and method of torqing them down. You also have to raise the rear wheel put it in 6th and spin the wheel to lower the rockers. You can bend a push rod if you arbitrarily just tighten things down. The pushrods are not self adjusting, they are a specific length. You have to take note of where they come from and which end was put to the lifter. To do the job right, you need a torque wrench as well as torque adapters.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
hddee
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
The gaskets seal w/o anything else. You need a manual. There is a specific torque sequence and method of torqing them down. You also have to raise the rear wheel put it in 6th and spin the wheel to lower the rockers. You can bend a push rod if you arbitrarily just tighten things down. The pushrods are not self adjusting, they are a specific length. You have to take note of where they come from and which end was put to the lifter. To do the job right, you need a torque wrench as well as torque adapters.
sorry bout all the confusion, what i was trying to say about the gaskets. do they just go straight in as they are meaning you dont use any sealer on them cause the bottom gasket is metal with no silicone bead built into the gasket and with the pushrods do you have to take the pushrods out as you are only replacing the covers.i have a manual but im just trying to make sure i dont miss anything.i asked about pushrod adjustment as my shovel has adjustable pushrods(solids)and when you put the pushrods in you adjust them from the bottom of pushrod

Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
zoomie67
Tourer

You do not need any gasket sealer with the harley, James, or Cometic MLS gaskets. I have heard of some guys using copper gasket seal spray with the Cometic gaskets but Cometic does not recommend this. If torqued properly and the gasket does not get pinched the gaskets will not leak. I recommend snugging all the bolts down lightly increasing the torque as you go. I usually work around the tightening sequence 3 times gradually raising the tourque each time around, you should theoretically get a better seal this way.

The pushrods are solid. There is no way to adjust them. The lifters are hydraulic.

Do one box at a time. You also need to get dog bones (torque wrench extensions in 7/16" and 1/2" to get the proper torque on the bottom rocker box bolts). I caution you in using the dog bones as you will need to calculate the proper torque wrench setting to account for the added leverage of the dog bones. If you do not calculate the proper torque you will over tighten the bolts. To remove the bottom rocker box you will do not need to remove the pushrods but you have a little more room to work if you do. You do not have to collapse the push rod tubes as the push rod will be able to pulled out the top when you remove the rocker support plate. It is crucial that you get the lifter on the base circles (lowest part of the cam) before attempting to remove the support plate, you will break it if the lifters are not in the proper location of the cam. To find the base circles pull the spark plugs on both cylinders (it will be alot easier to spin the engine with them out) put the bike in the highest gear and spin the rear wheel while watching the rockers you will see the exhaust valve open and close and then the intake open and close. When the intake closes you will feel air pushing out the spark plug hole. When the Piston is at Top Dead Center and the lifters are at there lowest point on the compression stroke the lifters are on the cam base circles. Rock boxes are kind of tough the first time you do one but once you do it once you'll get the hang of it. Hope this helps. Good luck on your project. It is always more satisfying when you DIY.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
hddee
Advanced

Originally Posted by zoomie67
You do not need any gasket sealer with the harley, James, or Cometic MLS gaskets. I have heard of some guys using copper gasket seal spray with the Cometic gaskets but Cometic does not recommend this. If torqued properly and the gasket does not get pinched the gaskets will not leak. I recommend snugging all the bolts down lightly increasing the torque as you go. I usually work around the tightening sequence 3 times gradually raising the tourque each time around, you should theoretically get a better seal this way.

The pushrods are solid. There is no way to adjust them. The lifters are hydraulic.

Do one box at a time. You also need to get dog bones (torque wrench extensions in 7/16" and 1/2" to get the proper torque on the bottom rocker box bolts). I caution you in using the dog bones as you will need to calculate the proper torque wrench setting to account for the added leverage of the dog bones. If you do not calculate the proper torque you will over tighten the bolts. To remove the bottom rocker box you will do not need to remove the pushrods but you have a little more room to work if you do. You do not have to collapse the push rod tubes as the push rod will be able to pulled out the top when you remove the rocker support plate. It is crucial that you get the lifter on the base circles (lowest part of the cam) before attempting to remove the support plate, you will break it if the lifters are not in the proper location of the cam. To find the base circles pull the spark plugs on both cylinders (it will be alot easier to spin the engine with them out) put the bike in the highest gear and spin the rear wheel while watching the rockers you will see the exhaust valve open and close and then the intake open and close. When the intake closes you will feel air pushing out the spark plug hole. When the Piston is at Top Dead Center and the lifters are at there lowest point on the compression stroke the lifters are on the cam base circles. Rock boxes are kind of tough the first time you do one but once you do it once you'll get the hang of it. Hope this helps. Good luck on your project. It is always more satisfying when you DIY.
mate i totally get everything you said crystal clear thanks heaps.i think i have the torque wrench extensions.am i streching the friendship to ask for the right calculation with the extensions

Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 AM
zoomie67
Tourer

How long are the extensions?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
zoomie67
Tourer
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomie67
Also commonly known as dog bones....

Quick Reply: replacing rocker box gasket and rocker boxes(07fxst)