How to remove tank swirl marks - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

How to remove tank swirl marks

P

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Meguiar's Swirl Remover does a good job. After using this or any other swirl remover, apply wax to seal the paint. Use a microfiber towel, and don't rub too hard. This is a common rookie mistake.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Senior Rider

I'll reiterate the Maguire's Scratch X 2.0. It's a phenomenal product. I use it to take away swirls in the paint as well as the black plastic cowling on my boat motor.

This cowling had TONS of fine scratches on it from years of wiping it with towels... I used Scratch X 2.0 on it (by hand, NO circular motions, follow the contours of whatever you're working) and then followed up with Maguire's Carnuba Wax.

Name:  20160220_091436_zpsf0jrk85y.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  666.2 KB
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkvn View Post
I'll reiterate the Maguire's Scratch X 2.0. It's a phenomenal product. I use it to take away swirls in the paint as well as the black plastic cowling on my boat motor.

This cowling had TONS of fine scratches on it from years of wiping it with towels... I used Scratch X 2.0 on it (by hand, NO circular motions, follow the contours of whatever you're working) and then followed up with Maguire's Carnuba Wax.

You don't think the Scratch 2.0 is going to be to abrasive for my cause do you ? from my best understanding the scratch 2.0 is best for actual scratches rather than the swirl X is for cob webs and light swirl marks.

my paint isn't trashed by any means but I definatly want to stay up on this before it looks awful.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Senior Rider

The 2.0 is definitely more abrasive (but not as abrasive as rubbing compound paste), it did exactly what I hoped it would do, which was remove the circular swirls in the paint left from using the wrong towels to dry it for years. The Swirl X will "fill" the swirls to mask them and maybe after 5-6 coats it may remove them. The Scratch X 2.0 will take them out in one coat, maybe two coats for stubborn areas (like around the gas cap).
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Senior Rider

It's not a miracle product though. My rear fender is scratched from the rear seat being loose and dragging boots across it I've done everything I know to do just short of repainting it and some "imperfections" just ain't gonna come out unless I high speed it with a buffer and some good butter. But it will still be scratched when I'm done so I'm just waiting to get the fender repainted.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM
One Of The Regulars

I just spoke to a meguiars rep and asked what my best plan of action should be. he recommended that I wash with dawn to strip all previous waxes , clay bar it, hit it with ultimate compound , followed by #7 show car glaze polish to really brighten it and then a few coats of wax , he said it will look better than it did when it came off the assembly line. the ultimate compound with take any swirls and light scratches out totally without messing with the clear , the glaze will really bring out the gloss from the clear coat and the wax will keep it like that for a very long time. probably gonna go that route
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Senior Rider

He sure didn't steer you wrong. If you follow those steps it will definitely look great
Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnharley7 View Post
Hopefully, another spill won't happen, but if it does I will definitely not use the paper towels to wipe the surface off.

If you dip the paper towels in the windshield cleaning water...they don't scratch...if you are careful.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom84FXST View Post
If you dip the paper towels in the windshield cleaning water...they don't scratch...if you are careful.
Ill have to remember that next time !
Old 04-26-2017, 05:33 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkvn View Post
He sure didn't steer you wrong. If you follow those steps it will definitely look great
Thanks! I hope it turns out how im imagining it will!

P