Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed My Shotgun Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Installed My Shotgun Yesterday

Last winter, I updated the suspension on the Heritage with Progressive’s Monotubes up front and 422’s in the rear. I was happy with the results and felt it was a good improvement over the stock suspension. Then I ended up buying a Shotgun from a forum member here (Thanks Roadie13). What I received was a new shock and a new, updated compressor for the ABS bikes. Installing this was actually fairly easy. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to get it in. I am really enjoying this upgrade alot. Had a rare, sunny, warm day in the PNW yesterday (low 70’s), so was able to put a few miles on the bike and playing with different settings.

One issue that became apparent during my riding yesterday, is that the monotubes up front feel way too stiff now. They never felt that way before. When I installed them, I ended up using both spacers on each spring. I’m thinking I may have to go back into the forks and remove one or both spacers to soften the springs up a bit. But, I’ll get some more miles on it first so I can get a better feel of how everything is working.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 PM
dsalazar63
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

Excellent. I installed mine 3 weeks ago. Waiting for good weather to really get some time in the saddle.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:04 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

i installed mono tubes on my bike last year and they are really stiff compared to stock. it did eliminate brake dive and improve handling a little but there is a huge sacrifice in comfort.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Shootermwc
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
i installed mono tubes on my bike last year and they are really stiff compared to stock. it did eliminate brake dive and improve handling a little but there is a huge sacrifice in comfort.
What other options are out there without lowering the front? Progressive I guess?
I thought Legend had something for the Softail front

Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Aogmitch
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Yes, they did stiffen the front, which was needed. I have been really happy with them in, but never really noticed them being too stiff, until riding around yesterday with the Shotgun. I will give them some more miles before deciding on any changes though.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:23 AM
dsalazar63
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

I did the progressive drop ins up front for a 2" drop. I've been extremely happy with the ride. I used to hit the front brake and the bike would dive forward. The drop in's stopped all that, and truthfully the ride is very close to factory.

Now on the flip side of that, I originally lowered the rear using the Deadcreek Cycles Lowering kit. Rode good, but fairly choppy. I was worried that on a long ride I would suffer some back pain. So, I ponied up the money and went with the shotguns.

Now......it rides like a Cadillac.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aogmitch
One issue that became apparent during my riding yesterday, is that the monotubes up front feel way too stiff now. They never felt that way before. When I installed them, I ended up using both spacers on each spring. I’m thinking I may have to go back into the forks and remove one or both spacers to soften the springs up a bit. But, I’ll get some more miles on it first so I can get a better feel of how everything is working.
One spacer is the way to go...

Progressive Monotubes Review...