Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 fxstc inner primary oil leak

Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
gazzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 fxstc inner primary oil leak

Any advice on replacing the inner primary oil seal on my fxstc, whats involved and can it be done without a trip to the stealer? any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would spend some time evaluating why it leaked in the first place rather than going through all that work and find you might need to do it again in a short time. Look for factory nick damage, grooved inner race, or too much play in the bearing or shaft. To just swap it out without some investigation would make you no better than the average dealer. The reason I say to look for a cause is these seals should last a really long time before you could wear enough of the lip off and cause a leak.
Ron

Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you sure it is the primary and not trans leaking? Trans seal on my 2003 Ultra was dripping due to the thinner HD fluid. Changed to Heavy Duty Shockproof trans fluid (much thicker) and problem went away.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Mike05
Tourer

I'm getting a few drops from the primary as well. I now have 35,950 miles on my 2005 FLSTCI. I suspect it is the seal on the inner primary case. I know it is not transmission fluid (I use Bel-Ray and it is red). I wipe it down but it comes back. I'm seeing larger drips than before, but that could be that the weather is getting a lot warmer and the oil would be hotter and seeping through the worn seal faster. From what I seen on other posts, the fix can be $300 to $400. The bearing and seal are pressed fit in place. I could remove and re-install the case, but the dealer would have to press the goodies in place. I had an oil seal pop on the right front of the same bike at 24,600 miles. Is 35,000 miles enough to wear out the inner case seal? I'm handy with tools and have done all of my servicing my self. I'm just not ready to tear into it yet.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:21 PM
heritageclassic07
Cruiser

I just got my bike back today from having my inner primary seal replaced. The inner primary seal was leaking causeing primary fluid to drip down the backside of the inner primary and drip down at the primary drain plug. first dealer told me that my primary drain plug was leaking and they tightend it and sent me on my way. after i noticed it leaking again i looked a little closer and realized it wa coming from the primary seal. took it to another dealer and they new exactly what i was talking about. they told me that it was probly just a bad seal and that it would be a few hours to repair. I had the extended warranty so it saved what would have been a 3 to 4 hour labor job and $5 dollar seal. Unfortunitly it wasnt that simple. the dealer ended up having my bike for 8 days because they needed to replace the race inner bearing, which they didnt have in stock. apperently the race bearing was installed wrong from the factory, the race bearing ened up touching the outer seal causeing the seal to fail. This is the breakdown
oil seal inner primary $4.75
oil seal, output gear $4.65
gasket service kit (primary 1K,5K) $4.95
2 quarts Syn 20w 50 $9.95
inner bearing race $14.35
Gasket, primary housing $11.15
Gasket, primary cover $30.40
Gasket, tower $0.94
5 bolt seals $5.00

hours labor 4.15.

I think with 30000 plus miles it wouldnt be uncommon for that seal to go bad. mine went bad at 8000 miles but was caused by the race bearing. i hope this info was helpful. just a little info i thought i might share with you.. from what i understand its a pretty straight forward job..