Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal/Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Removal/Install

I took my tank off this weekend and ran into a few snags that I would like to see if there is a better way.

My main problems were these.
In moving the tank around in order to get it off of that gasket that is around the frame in front I scratch the rocker covers. I placed a rag on it but it obviously went right thru it.

Second, putting it back on I foresee an issue trying to get the tank far enough forward on that gasket to get the bolt through.
Should I try placing it down on it as far forward as possible so I don't have to push it forward?

Advice, Tricks!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I scratched the top of my rocker covers a bit too, it's hard not to. When I reinstalled it, I put it straight down over the gasket and lightly wiggled it side to side while pushing down until it seated all the way. I think straight up/straight down is the way to do it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I took my tank off last year and I didn't scratch the rocker covers at all. How did that happen? What did you scratch them with? When I pulled mine off, I rocked it back and up until it came free of that rubber grommet. Getting it back on was about the biggest pain I encountered in removing/installing the tank. I just kept rocking it forward until my bolt holes were lined up. Took me 20 minutes or so and I was dripping with sweat by the time it was finally in place. I thought about just pushing it straight down, but for some reason that wasn't as feasible. I can't recall exactly why, but it may have had something to do with cables and connections.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just removed mine last week and I thought the biggest PITA was controlling the gas while trying to plug the crossover hose and attach another hose to the other fitting. Was kind of like a monkey...ah nevermind. lol Once I started removing it though, I just rocked it up and down pulling more towards the rear and upwards until I cleared it from the tank boot/rubber gasket whatever it is. lol Just took my time and didn't have any issues even getting close to the rocker covers.

I haven't put it back on yet but imagine during my reassembly that'll be the one thing that causes me issues. When I reinstall I'm just going to try to get it started over the tank pad/rubber boot at the front and then just rock it up and down slowly, pushing downwards. I was just thinking, it may even help by lubing it up just a little with some dish soap? Hummm

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the "right" way to reinstall the tank but I just slid mine as far forward as I could then used a small screwdriver in the rear mounting hole and gently wiggled and pryed the tank forward. Worked great and didn't break, bend or destroy anything in the process.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Unfortunately lots of people scratch the rocker covers. I put a thick piece of cardboard over the rocker covers to protect them.

To reinstall, I pushed the tank down and as far forward as possible. Whatever it takes, it is a tight fit.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Unfortunately lots of people scratch the rocker covers. I put a thick piece of cardboard over the rocker covers to protect them.

To reinstall, I pushed the tank down and as far forward as possible. Whatever it takes, it is a tight fit.
Great idea on the cardboard! I'll definitely use that for the install. Thanks

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Yup scratched my rocker covers too ... nothing a bit of 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit emery didn't take care off ... One of the few times I was glad to have those stupid polished aluminum covers. Once the tank is back on you can't notice it at all.

You scratch the covers it you lift the back of the tank to high and then pull backwards. Best to lift tank from front first. It's those clips on the cross-over that are the culprits.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Yup scratched my rocker covers too ... nothing a bit of 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit emery didn't take care off ... One of the few times I was glad to have those stupid polished aluminum covers. Once the tank is back on you can't notice it at all.

You scratch the covers it you lift the back of the tank to high and then pull backwards. Best to lift tank from front first. It's those clips on the cross-over that are the culprits.
Yep, that's how I did mine. lifted the back when pulling it to the rear.
I may just have to re-powder coat it and the other one, no biggie.
Was just wondering what others are doing.
I used a towel but the metal just went right through it.
I like the cardboard idea for next time.

Thanks everyone.
PS: Yep it was the cross-over clips...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
Just removed mine last week and I thought the biggest PITA was controlling the gas while trying to plug the crossover hose and attach another hose to the other fitting. Was kind of like a monkey...ah nevermind. lol Once I started removing it though, I just rocked it up and down pulling more towards the rear and upwards until I cleared it from the tank boot/rubber gasket whatever it is. lol Just took my time and didn't have any issues even getting close to the rocker covers.

I haven't put it back on yet but imagine during my reassembly that'll be the one thing that causes me issues. When I reinstall I'm just going to try to get it started over the tank pad/rubber boot at the front and then just rock it up and down slowly, pushing downwards. I was just thinking, it may even help by lubing it up just a little with some dish soap? Hummm
I used 2 vise grip needle nose pliers, pinched it off, cut the hose with a razor blade and removed the tank. That part was actually fairly easy.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Removal/Install