Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Dash part #'s and a few questions? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/364466-dash-part-s-and-a-few-questions.html)

kevdog 07-06-2009 11:51 PM

Dash part #'s and a few questions?

I have a 2000 Softail and the previous owner must have used some sort of abrasive cleaner on the dash area. The glass window on the speedometer has some swirling marks engraved in it and the black ignition sticker (Ingition, Off, Accessories) is scratched up.

Does anyone know if these parts can be replaced and if so what the part numbers are?

In Memoriam Citoriplus 07-07-2009 12:07 AM

I think your out of luck on the glass. There is no part number listed for it as an individual part. They only list the whole speedo as a unit.

Maybe you can have a local glass shop cut you a new one.
Your just going to have to figure out how to get the old one out and the new one in.

The 'name plate' as its called in the parts manual however has a part number and in my book its listed as 71302-93A.

kevdog 07-07-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Citoriplus (Post 5236241)
I think your out of luck on the glass. There is no part number listed for it as an individual part. They only list the whole speedo as a unit.

Maybe you can have a local glass shop cut you a new one.
Your just going to have to figure out how to get the old one out and the new one in.

The 'name plate' as its called in the parts manual however has a part number and in my book its listed as 71302-93A.

Thanks for the part#!

Chazmanian 07-07-2009 07:16 AM

My speedo has horrible water spotting and condensation under the glass. It drives me nutz!!

I couldnt figure out how to get that glass off the speedo last time it was outta the bike...Maybe it just prys off and then you need to use an adhesive when you put it back together? Honestly I do all my own wrenching but I wasnt ready to try and crack that glass off the speedo gauge as it didnt strike me as being removable?

I had plans to swap the stock one out for a Nostalgic unit anyways and figured I better have the OEM unit looking un-fvcked with should I ever sell the bike.

Just pushed my nostalgic speedo order up a few months....
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...007/5915_1.jpg
$140.00 new with 0 miles.(E-Bay) Gonna get crazy with some silicone sealent and do my new up proper like.

In Memoriam Citoriplus 07-07-2009 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by kevdog (Post 5236762)
Thanks for the part#!

Your welcome.

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 5236859)
My speedo has horrible water spotting and condensation under the glass. It drives me nutz!!

I couldnt figure out how to get that glass off the speedo last time it was outta the bike...Maybe it just prys off and then you need to use an adhesive when you put it back together? Honestly I do all my own wrenching but I wasnt ready to try and crack that glass off the speedo gauge as it didnt strike me as being removable?

I had plans to swap the stock one out for a Nostalgic unit anyways and figured I better have the OEM unit looking un-fvcked with should I ever sell the bike.

$140.00 new with 0 miles.(E-Bay) Gonna get crazy with some silicone sealent and do my new up proper like.

I can't remember who did it, but your problem reminded me that about a year ago or so someone managed to get their's apart to fix the same kind of thing.
Maybe if you use the seach forums function and looked for 'speedo', 'speedometer', 'condensation', or some combination of those words you might be able to find the post that told how they did it.

Good luck hunting.

Chazmanian 07-07-2009 07:41 AM

My white faced speedo is already enroute. Bought it Friday!

The OP may wanna do that search tho'....I'm doing the whole ivory and white accenting deal on my bike everywhere I can. Cuz' I'm a weirdoe.

Figger I wont send the new speedo in to get the mileage done I'll just be upfront if I ever sell it and have both speedo's in hand.

I swear that glass on mine did not wanna break free. ll I needed would be to have a busted up OEM and an added later speedo to really spook a buyer down the road!

Maybe some heat would get it off.

Mark g 07-07-2009 08:03 AM

Hey Chaz, that's Cool and a good deal! I'm looking at the same one ,but with the tach as well.

HD can program your milage into that unit.

back again 07-07-2009 08:04 AM

Take your speedo to a glass doctor.Most bezel glass scratches will polish out.I've had a speedo condensation problem since new.Tried silicone with no luck.Liking that nostalgia face Chaz.Good find at 140.00 Chaz,was that private or dealer?G.

Chazmanian 07-07-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by back again (Post 5237037)
Take your speedo to a glass doctor.Most bezel glass scratches will polish out.I've had a speedo condensation problem since new.Tried silicone with no luck.Liking that nostalgia face Chaz.Good find at 140.00 Chaz,was that private or dealer?G.

Dealer. I was suprised:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250457075095

Hey Chaz, that's Cool and a good deal! I'm looking at the same one ,but with the tach as well.

HD can program your milage into that unit.
I was dead set on getting one with a tach until my Jockey shift conversion....Now i dont need a Tach. With so much going when on the gas, watching for potholes, cracks, crackheads things that could cause my one hand on the bars ass to crash when getting on it.... I would never look down at it.

Man....I'm too impatient to send it off to the factory for a month. that fvckers going in my dash this week at zero miles!!!:icon_denk:

In Memoriam Citoriplus 07-07-2009 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmanian (Post 5237148)
Man....I'm too impatient to send it off to the factory for a month. that fvckers going in my dash this week at zero miles!!!:icon_denk:

Call the local stealer and ask them if they will do it for you. I believe they all have the equipment needed to change the mileage, along with anything else in the computer system (like the VIN number in the ECM) and I would imagine they could do it for a nominal fee.

That way you get documented proof of the actual mileage and don't have to worry about running afoul of the federal laws against messing with it.
Cause the penalties for doing so were designed to deal with unscrupulous dealers or companies and be rather severe when applied to an individual.