Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibrate Speedo Thread, can't find it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
donwonnc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help a Newbie find a thread

I saw a thread , on how to calibrate the speedo on a 1999 Fatboy after replacing the speed sensor. It mentioned marking off a certain known distance, 1 mile, I think, and how to use the trip button to calibrate. After replacing the VSS, my speedo and milage counter work again, but I know the speed shown is much less than what I was actually going. I held down the trip button while turning on the ignition and I could see several codes, that either said clear or set, and the last one said Cal 5. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Last edited by donwonnc; 05-19-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: to get help
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM
donwonnc
Novice
Default Found it!!

This is the speedometer calculation instructions for my 1999 FXST, see page 3, I hope others find it usefull.

http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1189.pdf

Last edited by donwonnc; 05-19-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
donwonnc
Novice
Default Please help me

This did not help, as when I pushed in the trip button, I still get the 10 codes like do1 Clr, then the 10th code says Cal 5. I purchased a new speed sensor and put it in my Revtec 6 speed tranny and the speedometer is not accurate after 20-30 mph. I know I am going much faster, but it doesn't go past 30. The above linked mentions the codes and how to calibrate the speedometer by holding in the trip button while starting the engine. It mention the needle sweeping all the way around and coming back to half way, but mine doesn't do this. 1999 FXST

Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

The mile markers on the side of the road are exactly one mile. Father in law used to install them. Said DOT inspector was **** about it.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
donwonnc
Novice
Default Have pictures speedo problem

Lot of pictures. I will try to put some on my profile or garage, wherever, so if you are interested in purchasing, you can see all of it.

That is my bike, For Sale. 99 FXSTC 1340 cc Evo single cam. I replaced the speed sensor on my 6 speed revtec. It brought life back to the speedo, but, when I know I am doing 60 mph plus, it struggles to go past 30 mph. Also the mileage is counting by half, takes two miles to click off one. I think I have part of a recalibration unit under my dash. It is a square black box with a set of 3 wires going in and out of it, it also has a small red wire going to the ignition switch connection that only has power on when turned on. It wasn't in line with the speed sensor, meaning it has the same connector as the speed sensor and was connected in a circle. I placed the speed sensor in line and it didn't change anything.There is what looks like a coaxil plug on the end of this box, red, like you hook up your TV. I found a picture of the Speed Calibration Unit online and there something plugged onto the COAXIL cable but the pic is cropped and you can't s it all, I have asked for a photo of the entire product.
I am not certain that the speedo was ever correct, but the odometer must have been working okay up tp now, as I only rode it about 1k miles and I had a back operation, can't ride, owe Uncle Sam, anyway the mileage is in tune with what the title says when I bought it last year.