Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to change from a 5 speed to a 6 spped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to change from a 5 speed to a 6 spped?

I know this is the wrong section but in the transmission section there is only 1 post, so no one will read it!!!

anyway, I just got back from sturgis (2001 FATBOY) riding out from NJ and noticed I was always looking for that 6th gear...I don't know why, I have done that run 3 times before, and plenty other long hauls....

I guess it's because I also a newer night train with 6th gear and have gotten use to it....

when I got there I ask the guys at baker and they gave me a quote of $3900 installed with a show special of $3000.....

that is to much money IMO.....I was wondering if I can pick up the guts of a harley 6th speed trans and pop it in myself, what are the complications if any.....I am sure I can find one on ebay or craigs list

Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

get the ultima its 599 at Jireh cycle comes with 2 yr 24000 mi warranty not that hard to install

Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

The Screamin' Eagle 6-speed gearset can be had for around $1550. I wouldn't think that installation would run more than $500. I know there's some modification to the transmission case required, but it's a quality piece.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang ya' just missed one in the classifieds for next to nothing....

Why I'm not a big Ultima fan? Who knows.

I think 6 speed. I think Baker. $2,000 shipped E-Bay.

Dunno how hard the install is. Cant be too easy if the Baker guys in Sturgis wanted $900 to do it!!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

FWIW, I've heard nothing good about the Ultima.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I just had a RevTech cluster installed for 1150.including labor at an indy here in Georgia.Very smooth and quick.I couldn't justify the cost of the Baker after asking around for the last 6 months.Should only be 3-4hr top for install.G.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i could very easily justify the cost. there is no way a rev tec or ultima would hold up in my motor. just the facts.
yes baker is expensive made in america and you get what ya pay for,. pluse he also has diffrent gear ratios to choose from a more or less custom set up.
now the SE , Jims are good units also

Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The six speed gearset will install easily into the five speed case. The only mod to the case is a small amount of grinding and filing for clearance. I used the SE gearset in my '03 Heritage and it was well worth the time, money and effort.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 PM
javablack
Tourer

i had a baker put in my roadglide, its well worth it imo.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
FWIW, I've heard nothing good about the Ultima.
i have an ultima six speed in my 99 dyna and have nothing bad to say about it. i have SE203 cams, mikuni carb, and baker hardened tranny sprocket and i run the dog **** out of my bike. i like to power shift and do the occasional burnout and never seen a problem out of it.

Its easy to do the install if youve got the tools. it will require several specialty tools to do the job and a few days but it makes all the difference in the world. let me know if you have any technical questions about the tranny switch

another thing is i have two buddies with six speeds, one has a baker, the other has an S+S. I like mine for what it is but you can definately tell the difference when riding theyre bikes as opposed to mine. the firmness of shifting and the way it just falls into gear. although they paid a little over triple what i paid for mine so how much you wanna spend?

Quick Reply: how hard is it to change from a 5 speed to a 6 spped?