Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions, rear fender chop? Good or need to rethink?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions, rear fender chop? Good or need to rethink?

Hey guys, I just chopped one of the rear fenders I have sitting here before it goes to paint. It will need some definite finishing work before I send it away but what do you guys think?

I had to leave enough fender or I have to either remount the license holder up further on the fender or have something built for it. Otherwise, I would have cut closer to the seat, something similar to Speedsnice's rear. Is it good there, should I have cut it an inch or two lower or maybe just a touch higher? More of a curve around the back?

I have a '10 new back fender that is already Denim Black, which is what the rest of the bike is being painted, so if this is going to look like an abortion with the plate holder higher, now is the time to please be honest cause it will just be one less piece to have to paint, lol...

Any and all welcome to comment. Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-014.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-015.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-016.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-017.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-018.jpg  

Last edited by Jaxx; 02-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thining an inch or two shorter and a sidemount license plate.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the look you want.. I think it looks fine... Did you get the lights? all Good?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by WARG
I'm thining an inch or two shorter and a sidemount license plate.

That was the initial plan, already have a Kuryakyn vertical holder, then found out that was illegal here, was about to order the RotoPlate and decided to make sure that would be ok, and was informed they are slapping everyone with a $265 ticket for not having the license mounted on the rear fender or rear mud flap in Alberta. Don't want to be hassled by the police here so would prefer not to give them any reason to stop me and give me a fine....

Apparently one of the models the Harley Dealership here was selling off their floor came with factory side mounted plates the parts lady was telling me and 5 guys came in last summer and made them move them after getting ticketed.

To top it off, the plates here are 5" x 8", ain't that a bitch....

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe What
What is the look you want.. I think it looks fine... Did you get the lights? all Good?
Just grasping at straws right now, lol... I need to move across the border so I can build my bike properly, lol...

I think the parcel might have come today, my wife said something arrived but haven't been into the office to open it. Thanks again man...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some to keep your wheels spinning.. I understand, i just got my new fender in and I sat it on the wheel and stared at it will dinking a few beers wondering what I was going to do and how to mount some lights...

I dont know either.. good luck with it and least it will be fun...

Attached Thumbnails Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-swe_slingshot_rf_02_tn.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-swe_rf_03_tn.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-swe_stwlkr_rf_01_tn.jpg   Opinions, rear fender chop?  Good or need to rethink?-swe_xcess_rf_01_tn.jpg  

Last edited by Joe What; 02-25-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see, well then I think it looks good as is.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe What
Here are some to keep your wheels spinning.. I understand, i just got my new fender in and I sat it on the wheel and stared at it will dinking a few beers wondering what I was going to do and how to mount some lights...

I dont know either.. good luck with it and least it will be fun...

I love the first fender. It is very similar to the one on the chopper that my buddy is looking at ordering from Raging Iron Choppers. I tried drawing it out on the fender, before I got pissed off by my lack of inspiration with this big *** plate on the back and just cut it square, but couldn't seem to get it to work and leave room for the holder.

Maybe I should just say f*ck it and just take the tickets...

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jaxx, I think the cut is perfect since you gotta keep the plate up there. What about rolling/shaping the plate so it flows with the fender? And if you need plate lights use LED screws to hold them in place or a mini LED strip, so you don't gotta worry about the stock plate light housing.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

I think I need to learn the art of photoshop before I take on these tasks, lol...

I think I will clean it up, drill the holes for the plate, put it on and see how it looks. If it looks like sh*t I will take it off and decide if I am going to give up on doing a chop with a license plate holder, or just put the '10 full fender on and leave it...

I might look on ebay again and see if I see anything that sparks any revelations. Dennis from TopDownProducts offered to draw up a couple ideas for him to produce as well, so we will see what happens.

Quick Reply: Opinions, rear fender chop? Good or need to rethink?