Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neck Bearing Adjustment 08 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 AM
third_left_eye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought about those saying they have to use a lot of grease when servicing, maybe the grease was used up/washed out. Most things that take grease don't stay greased forever. Washing your bike, or riding in the rain could wash out grease as well. Might be a good habit to pump a shot or two after every few rides. Just my .02

Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Yuma Jack
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chip, do you loosen the upper pinch bolt and the two lower bolts?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

If you read the spec for the grease in the book there is a grease for the neck bearings. I did buy the grease from Harely. The problem is that most of the part guys don't know that there are different greases out there, So you get the wrong grease . I live in Fl and have had NO proplems with Driping. Do any of you have a boat trailer ? If you bought it new only the bearings themselfs were greased. Buy a set of bearing buddys and put them on the trailer and see how much gease it takes to fill the void.I think that the Dealer should have the neck greased when the so call uncrate and assemble the bike . ( they sure try to charge for it.)

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I found this thread....I was alarmed the other day when my front end wobbled after I removed my hands briefly at about 25 mph.

A question of urgent import: CONROSKIE...where'd you get that avatar? holy smokes lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I went for a ride last night on my '10 FLSTFB, felt like the front end was going to fall apart. I knew the head was a bit loose from the factory but it really snuck up on me.

Brought it home and tightened down the head slightly and it is so much better. My was loose enough that it wouldn't stay centered, it would fall away right from center. I only had to tighten it about 1/16" to 1/8" of a turn. I didn't bother with the fall away test, just adjusted to what felt right.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts
Default My two cent worth

You need a manual. My 04 Softail has two different procedures for the different Softail bikes in 04. Best I can tell it says to loosen pinch bolts on a Fatboy. It does on my Deuce. It's to let the lower tree float so it does not affect fall away tension. Also says unsnap clutch cable from clip on frame and remove windshield, dead birds or and other object that may affect balance of fallaway. Mine has a slotted nut under the upper tree. I believe the Fatboy has a bolt head on top. Also as far as greasing this is another one of Harleys things that they say needs service and like the manual primary adjusters really does not need maintained. The bearings are packed with grease at the factory just around the bearings. The grease fitting is in the center of the tube and must fill up the tube to grease the upper and lower bearing. A car wheel bearing will go 100K on a hand packed grease job. A Harley fork bearing will last two lifetimes without being greased from the fitting.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-23-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Corrected that Fatboy needs pinch bolts loosened
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

A couple months I adjusted it without loosening pinch bolts. Was getting front end wobble a little on decel. This time I took the tins off and loosened the pinch bolts - pits to get too. The neck bearing tightened up a good half turn more. The 04 FB manual says to loosen pinch bolts. This allows the forks and tree to move in the correct/natural position when the neck bearing is tightened.