Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

db ratings for some V&H pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
GymChamp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default db ratings for some V&H pipes

Straight from V&H today, when I asked them about using their LOUD baffles on Double Barrel Longs:
Double Barrel Longs with LOUD V&H baffles: 98 db
Long Shots, stock: 100 db
Big Shots Long, stock: 105 db
Of course db doesn't measure tone and rumble, etc.
Anyone used or heard Big Shots Long with Thunder Monster Baffles???
I'm considering that combo, appreciate any feedback.

GymChamp
'09 Heritage Classic
Stage 1 with SE a/f, SE inserts, EFI download

Attached Thumbnails db ratings for some V&H pipes-gymchamp-for-email.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a nice combo. Helped a bud put on the big shot longs with quest baffles, and that thing has a nice rumble too. I can't hear it over my fishtails, but it sounds good when he starts it up.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

was that at idle, steady speed, or WOT.???

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
GymChamp
Advanced

Great question Oct1949 (I'm an Oct1950 myself)... wish I had asked it myself... seems my questions always result in more questions than answers.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 AM
K2
Intermediate

GymChamp, Did V&H say what the db level is for Double Barrel Longs as 'stock' ?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 AM
GymChamp
Advanced

K2, no figure on stock Double Barrel Longs, but from some other posts it is apparently around 90-92 db. Keep in mind these db figures can vary greatly depending on engines and modifications, and do not indicate tone, rumble, etc. Turns out some Long Shots that had the best sound I ever heard, that I thought were on a Stage 1 and otherwise stock bike, were on a '01, EFI Fat Boy with 103" SE with racing cam, plus other mods, AND the pipes had non-stock baffles. The lessons for me are, (1) it takes a great instrument to produce a truly great sound, and (2) something that should be simple is in fact very complex.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GymChamp
K2, no figure on stock Double Barrel Longs, but from some other posts it is apparently around 90-92 db. Keep in mind these db figures can vary greatly depending on engines and modifications, and do not indicate tone, rumble, etc. Turns out some Long Shots that had the best sound I ever heard, that I thought were on a Stage 1 and otherwise stock bike, were on a '01, EFI Fat Boy with 103" SE with racing cam, plus other mods, AND the pipes had non-stock baffles. The lessons for me are, (1) it takes a great instrument to produce a truly great sound, and (2) something that should be simple is in fact very complex.
I've been curious about this for a while now and am also looking to change pipes. I work in the sound industry creating install CAD drawings for large sound systems and I asked one of our engineers yesterday how much difference there is between 98 and 100dB. He said, 2-5dB would be indistinguishable to the human ear but for every 10db, the sound is doubled. 110 is twice as loud as 100 etc.

So I think like you said Champ, the tone/rumble is what would sound different between pipes but doesn't sound like we could tell if they were a slight higher db unless you had some that were 10 or more dB louder. He also added the ear can withstand 90dB for 8 hours, 92dB for 6 hours, 95dB for 4 hours 97dB for 3 hours, 100dB for 2 hours, 102dB for 1.5 hours, 105 dB for 1 hour, 110dB for .5 hour and 115dB for .25 hour or less before hearing damage. I know this wasn't a question in your original post but I thought it was interesting info to pass along since I have been thinking on this for a while now.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by anubisss
It's a nice combo. Helped a bud put on the big shot longs with quest baffles, and that thing has a nice rumble too. I can't hear it over my fishtails, but it sounds good when he starts it up.
Anibisss do you think you hear your pipes less since they go so far back? I am REALLY thinking of going with duals but was curious about that?

I wish I could find pics of a Fatty with solid wheels and dual fishtails...that's what I think I want, just not sure how it would look with the traditional Fatboy look. I kinda wanna go for the bagger look and would love to have the storage of a set of Boss bags for longer trips. Oh and drop the a$$ a little.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well in electronic formula 3db is twice or half

Quick Reply: db ratings for some V&H pipes