Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 FXSTC tire wear more on right hand side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 PM
tabone75
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 FXSTC tire wear more on right hand side?

I have done 7500 miles mostly 2 up on my 07 FXSTC. The rear 200 Dunlop tire has worn a lot more on the right hand side. The front has also has more wear on the right hand side. We ride on the left side of the road here in Aussie. Both tires need to be replaced.

My questions.

1) Is this an alignment issue that the rear wheel is almost bald on the right hand side? How does one check the alignment?

2)How come the tires wears more on one side than the other? (in my case the right hand side?). Is it road camber? Is my riding style?

3) What tires are best front and rear for longevity? I guess harder the rubber means less wear, but less grip?

4) What does the wear indicator look like?

5) If I let the handlebars go the bike pulls to the left? Road is flat. Is this so of all 07 FXSTCs? How can I fix this?

Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate

Hi John, I had 7,500 on my first set of tires on my 07' FLSTC when I had to replace them. Wheel alignment is done by measuring the distance from the pivot pin to the center of the rear axle bolt. Use a straight piece of coat hanger with a slight bend in one end and put a real small wire tie on it, so it will slide. Put the bent end against the washers on the pivot pin and slide the wire tie so it's at center of the axle bolt, then compare it to the other side of your scooter. If you have to adjust it, buy a service manual because you'll also need to re-adjust your belt tension. You'll have to buy the belt tension tool too. Your tire wear is most likely from the air pressure being higher on the right side of the tire. LOL No really, it's from the wheel being out of alignment. tee hee... The harder the tire, the faster they wear. Go AVON or Metzeler for best mileage compared to the Dunflop tires. The wear indicator is a small bar in the rain grove that is lover the the surface of the tire, so as the tire wears away, the wear bar comes closer to the tire surface. When its even with the tire surface, its time for new AVON tires... Your bike pulls to the left because your bike it out of alignment or you have about fifty pounds of tools in your left saddle bag. Buy a service manual and read it, you won't be sorry.... Your an Aussie, get some AVON Tyres.....
Oh yeah, buy a service manual and learn to work on your own scooter man, you'll love it!
Slim

Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailSlim
The harder the tire, the faster they wear. Go AVON or Metzeler for best mileage compared to the Dunflop tires.
Oh yeah, buy a service manual and learn to work on your own scooter man, you'll love it!
Slim
Slim, ya got it backwards. Its the softer tire that wears faster, think erasers.
The soft yellow gum rubber erasers wear out faster that the pink one's they traditionally put on pencils.

John,
As far as tires go 7500 isn't all that out of line with most other owners are getting and if your riding two up a good part of the time your probably a bit ahead of the curve.

I can think of another reason for the bike to be wearing the tires on the right side. But your going to need a buddy to follow you around, with and without the wife is on the back to confirm it. My guess is that either she or you or both of you are not sitting centered on the bike. If either or both of you are putting more weight on the left side it will cause the bike to lean to the right all the time to balance things out.

Also you ride on the 'wrong' side of the street and its easier to crank on the throttle harder and earlier in right turns (left turns here) because of the road rules and that will also eat up that right side more than the left. Add in the camber of most roads and maybe low air pressure and its going to wear that right side more.

Next time your anywhere there are a bunch of guys on crotch rockets, ask them if they have seen similar wear patterns on their tires. Odds are that some of them probably will have and for many of the same reasons.

BTW if you do go for Metzler tires they are softer than the stock Dunlops. But everyone who's tried them says that you should add a couple (or more) pounds of air pressure than the books says. Seems like they 'like' higher pressures better and if you add the pounds they can last just as long or longer while giving you better traction in the bargain.

And DO get a manual, you'll save yourself a ton of dealer labor charges having one of them around.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 AM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate

Let us know what you find when you check your alignment...

Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate

I stand corrected! Thanks to Citoriplus! I received some info from the AVON rep. on my question to him about hard & soft tires:
"Hi Slim, harder tires should last longer as long as everything else is
equal. If the tires have a different load capacity, or were run at
different pressures these will both affect the tires life."
Kevin Corbett
Mickey Thompson Tires
Technical Service Representative
1-800-222-9092 Ext.3169
So again, I stand corrected! Thanks for correcting my defective opinion on hard or soft tires. Ya learn something new everyday, I'm not always right.... Great site by the way!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
bionicman1961
Stage III
Thumbs up RE: Tire wear

I have a 09 FXSTC it dont pull to either side on a flat surface.I also have 05 softtail Deuce it dont pull either . As matter of fact I use the measure from center of pivot bolt to center of rear axle to get close then ride test the bike. If it pulls I adjust according to the side it pulls too to get neutral pull.But you have to pay close attention to belt tension it dont take much on one side or the other to tighten or loosen the belt. to tight= wheel bearing wear to loose and belt flop. You just have to play with a little and you will get the feal for it.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost 10,000 miles on my '07 FXSTC stock Dunlop tires. Rear will probably give another 1k or better before replacing, front will be good for way more. Bike does not pull to either side and it tracks straight and true hands-off on a straight and level road. I keep pressures at book recommended levels. Wear indicators run across the tire at the arrow pointers found on either side of sidewall. Easy to see once you find those arrow pointers.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road crown?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

At 24k on our 07 Heritage.. got 10k on first one. could have got more but we have wet springs and I wanted good rubber. Replaced with same stock Dunlop.
Second tire change I got 10.5k easy, so at 20.5k I replace both front and rear..

I've read in here that people get all kinds of mileage on different tires. seems like whatever they put on gets better mileage than the others..

IMPO after studying tires this spring for my latest change I think that the Dunlops Elite 3's are among the best. But don't think they make it in Ur size.....

I have also read the the new 200 tires on the FB's, NT's, are only getting 4-7k out of them.
Also they only have 8/32" tread new, thats 2/32" less tread depth to begin with than most tires. Thats 25% less rubber to wear cause most change at 2/32".

Heres the dunlop site on tires.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=107

As far a wearing on the right side, I'd think the wear should be on the left, as most roads are crowned. or slope to the right...so I'd have the alignment checked out..

Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
As far a wearing on the right side, I'd think the wear should be on the left, as most roads are crowned. or slope to the right...so I'd have the alignment checked out..
That would be true if he lived here.
But 'down under' where he is they ride on the 'wrong' side of the street.

Quick Reply: 07 FXSTC tire wear more on right hand side?