Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Lydell
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark

Just bought my first Harley this summer - a 14 year old Hertitage Softail Classic. What a cool bike! As I was a rice grinder dude in my younger days. Anyhow in late September I was out riding and it was just like someone turned the key off - no spark. So I changed (as instructed) first the coil, then ignition control box, and finally the crank position sensor. Still no spark. So now I have a Clymer service manual. Took the rear tire off and inner fender, hoping I might just find some broken wires or something, but no deal. Anyone who could steer me where to go next - I would be grateful. The manual isn't clear on what to do after replacing all those parts.
Please help.
Thanks, Lydell

Last edited by Lydell; 12-29-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first check to see if power is reaching the coil / ecm . any 12v test light will do ....check fuses / relays

Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lydell
Just bought my first Harley this summer - a 14 year old Hertitage Softail Classic. What a cool bike! As I was a rice grinder dude in my younger days. Anyhow in late September I was out riding and it was just like someone turned the key off - no spark. So I changed (as instructed) first the coil, then ignition control box, and finally the crank position sensor. Still no spark. So now I have a Clymer service manual. Took the rear tire off and inner fender, hoping I might just find some broken wires or something, but no deal. Anyone who could steer me where to go next - I would be grateful. The manual isn't clear on what to do after replacing all those parts.
Please help.
Thanks, Lydell
I've read many bad reviews of the Clymer manuals, but have no first hand experience with them, but would advise getting the Harley manual.

Did the Clymer manual "instruct" changing out those parts? - doesn't sound like a sound diagnostic approach.

Attached is the page from my HD manual to give you some idea of the ignition coil power layout, which may be similar to yours, but best you look at getting this diagram specific to your model.
This diagram will help when testing for power on the coils etc. using a test lamp or multimeter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuv8q6bt8howf6p/Electical%20Diagnostics%20Manual%2099498-08%20220.pdf?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails No spark-electical-diagnostics-manual-99498-08-220.jpg  

Last edited by 1004ron; 01-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado!
Did you check for corrosion and loose connections in the ignition switch? Or the kill switch? Are all the grounds solid without corrosion?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Lydell
Intermediate

Will do - I'm on it. Thanks for the reply. Like your "profile pic". Now there's a nice view from the top!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Lydell
Intermediate

Hey thanks for your advice and reply. I will dig into that. Unfortunately I can't open the attachment. I'll dive into this on the weekend.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Lydell
Intermediate

Thank you for your reply. I will dive into it again over the weekend and will certainly look at all that. I love the style of the bike but at 14 years old I suppose these kinds of issues will come up. Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Lydell
Intermediate

Hello Professor. The middle pole of the connector wire at the coil has about 11 volts. The outside poles of the connector wire have no power, even when cranking the motor. They should have power when cranking shouldn't they? Fuses are good, not sure if a relay can be tested. There is only one relay. Wires look to be tight and the best I can see wiring seems to be Ok with nothing loose, bare, or broken. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Lydell
Intermediate

Hello 1004ron. Opened up much of the wiring to check for broken, bare or corroded wiring. All looked to be OK. Took the wire connector off the coil and the middle pole had about 11 volts, while the outer two poles had no power, not even while cranking. They should have power when the engine is cranking shouldn't they? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lydell
Hello 1004ron. Opened up much of the wiring to check for broken, bare or corroded wiring. All looked to be OK. Took the wire connector off the coil and the middle pole had about 11 volts, while the outer two poles had no power, not even while cranking. They should have power when the engine is cranking shouldn't they? Thanks.
No, those two wires go to the ignition module, they will be trigger \ground wires. 11 volts is a little low, what is bat voltage.

Quick Reply: No spark