Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody relocate there coil? I need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anybody relocate there coil? I need help

So I've put a round oil tank on the night train. I want to place the coil in between it and the motor (removed fake seat post). I figured I'd just by a universal plug wire set and make my own, but what do ya know the stupid twinkies have a diffrent coil plug. Anyone ran into this? Can I just by a universal kit and reuse the stock twincam ends? Any help would be awesome thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 AM
NotSoStandard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I relocated my coil down by the splash gaurd so I couls take out the seat post in preparation for the round oil tank. I just got a local shop to make longer wires - he reused the plugs from my stock wires, so you can do it. You will only need to buy a suitable length of wire.

I did not make up the wires myself, so I don't know if there were any special tools for crimping them to the wires, but I shouldn't think so.

Have you got any pictures of the oil tank install? This is one of the next jobs on my list.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:51 AM
09_NightRider
Tourer

I did...
you need to use a flat head and needle nose pliers to get the old end off of your original wires and reuse them.
re-install them onto the new shorter wires.
also flip the two wires in the coil plug to make it so that the front wire is for the front cylinder/rear wire for the rear cylinder.
(Yellow w/ Blue tracer (C) and Blue w/ Orange tracer (D). "C" is the rear cylinder coil and "D" is the front cylinder coil.)

Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Yes, please post pics of the finished bike once the oil tank is installed. Sounds like something I may be interested in doing for the winter project(s).

Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

Heres a couple of her mocked up. I've got it pc'd and back on just haven't got and pics of it. I guess thats what I'll do buy the universal and reuse the ends of my existing wires thanks

Attached Thumbnails Anybody relocate there coil?  I need help-night-train-project-006.jpg   Anybody relocate there coil?  I need help-night-train-project-005.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundee
Heres a couple of her mocked up. I've got it pc'd and back on just haven't got and pics of it. I guess thats what I'll do buy the universal and reuse the ends of my existing wires thanks
I like the set-up; but once its powder coated it'll hardly be noticed. Chrome or high polished stainless would be nice..just my 2 cents

Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

Blacker the bear sweeter the juice...Friday..great movie. I pc'd it in gloss black not wrinkle it stands out enough for me.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM
brinsr
Advanced

Now what do you do with that big ugly mount sticking up where the center post was connected?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats where I've built a mount to put my coil. Some one did it and built a little box for it. Me, I'd hack it off it my coil wasn't goin there.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 PM
09_NightRider
Tourer

where did you get the tank and how much chee$e.
were the lines a pain...?
Love the round look

Quick Reply: Anybody relocate there coil? I need help