Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change

I have the 2009 softail manual. I am due for the 25k service and the maintenance chart calls for changing the Fuel Filter in the Tank. I can't find any other reference to it in the service manual. It has to be in there right? I am just not seeing it. Must be going blind or something. Anybody got the page, part number or instructions? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Check your manual and turn to page 4-28, not very clear on what they show here.
Good question and I hope someone can help clear this up too.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
DragonSlayer08
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PLHbrian
I have the 2009 softail manual. I am due for the 25k service and the maintenance chart calls for changing the Fuel Filter in the Tank. I can't find any other reference to it in the service manual. It has to be in there right? I am just not seeing it. Must be going blind or something. Anybody got the page, part number or instructions? Thanks.
Not sure if this will help as I have a 2008 Rocker C. In the Service Manual, look for the section that is titled "Fuel Pump and Fuel Gauge Sending Unit." It is on 4-24 thru 4-27 in my manual. The part number for the 2008 Rocker C fuel filter and o-ring is 61011-04A. It cost $13.60 through Chicago Harley-Davidson.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
PLHbrian
Cruiser

THANKS! That is it on page 4-28 in the section on "Fuel Pump and Fuel Gauge Sending Unit" This is going to be fun. I have been thinking about using a Dakota Digital Speedo/Tach and Flush mount fuel gauge and cap. Probably a good time for the mods too.

Thanks Again guys!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PLHbrian
THANKS! That is it on page 4-28 in the section on "Fuel Pump and Fuel Gauge Sending Unit" This is going to be fun. I have been thinking about using a Dakota Digital Speedo/Tach and Flush mount fuel gauge and cap. Probably a good time for the mods too.

Thanks Again guys!
Post back when you have completed the change, lets us know how everything turned out. It doesn't look like it's going to be a big deal, but if I where to change out the fuel filter.............it would be a good time to do the rest of your up grades too.
Good luck.........and post some pictures when done.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser

Just wanted to follow-up on this thread. I am still waiting on the mcl-3207 speedo/tach but I have completed adding the LED fuel gauge and the Fuel filter in the tank.

The LED fuel gauge and cap are really nice quality. The install was simple with just one modification to the instructions. The instructions called for moving the tank back to get to the stock fuel gauge wiring harness connector and I didn't do that. I pulled the original gauge from the tank and cut the wires. I soldered the connector from the new LED gauge to the original wiring harness. Done and simple.

I tried to take some photos of the fuel pump install and they are attached. This was also an easy job and it is the first time I have ever done it. All of the screws were easily removed from the top plate on the tank. I did have to use a towel wrapped screw driver on the console to free it up. Just a little nudge and it loosened right up.

Details:

-The cost of the parts was $40.04 including PA sales tax.
10 sealing screws HD 1311D
1 top plate gasket - HD 61315-02
1 Fuel filter with o-ring HD 61011-04A
-No special tools needed. T20 bit for screws, flat head, socket wrench for seat etc...
- I did NOT drain the tank but I only had about 2 gallons in it.
- The fuel assembly came out of the tank easily enough by moving the assembly top plate forward, tilting it down toward the brake side and pulling it up and out on the clutch side. Not a lot of room but I didn't have to disconnect any hoses to get to the fuel filter retaining clip which is a big U shaped piece of metal - easy to work with. The fuel filter separated from its housing very easily.
- the new fuel filter was too snug to get on so I used a needle nose pliers to widen the round plastic wholes on both sides of the filter. Just a very little bit at a time until it fit. The original filter basically feel out once I separated the housing so I knew it shouldn't have to be forced on.
- I replaced the top gasket even though the old one still looked new but the manual says to replace it and the screws.
-Done

Interesting to note how dirty the old fuel filter is after 24,138 on a 2009. I have a picture comparing the 2. I try to buy 93 premium gas from Shell or Sunoco but when I'm on the road I have to take what I can get and I guess it only takes one bad tank to dirty up the works.

-------
The Dakota Digital MCL-3207 I ordered and am still waiting on has the Blue LED and chrome housing. This should only take about 20 minutes to install but probably an hour to program. Looking forward to it.

I'll have to post again with more photos. The system is just hanging on me.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0698.jpg   2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0693.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser

Fuel filter Install Photos...

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0704.jpg   2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0700.jpg   2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0702.jpg   2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0707.jpg   2009 Rocker C - Need Info on Fuel Filter change-img_0706.jpg  

Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior

Nice job PLHbrian, the fuel gauge and caps look killer. I have been thinking about buying some and I must say that panel chrome flame insert looks great!