Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Ape hangers history? True, False? Interesting... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/483979-ape-hangers-history-true-false-interesting.html)

mimo 03-01-2010 07:57 PM

Ape hangers history? True, False? Interesting...

Here is what I've found:

"The story I heard was that back in the old days people used to string wires across the road to deter motorcyclist gangs. The leaders started to use hi-rise handlebars to protect themselves from the wires which were neck high.."

What have you heard 'bout 'em?

Mimo.

hatchetman 03-01-2010 08:46 PM

makes sense to me. We used notched bars on the front of our armoured personell carriers for the same reason!

joesride 03-02-2010 02:12 AM

I saw a picture of a ww-2 motorcycle that had a steel bar mounted to the front of it that stood straight up infront of the rider, supposedly it was mounted there to HELP prevent the rider from being decapitated by ****** wire, or by wire strung across a road or trail by the enemy.

hpfatboy 03-02-2010 03:07 AM

Dont know if it's true,:icon_denk: but it sure makes sense to me!!!:icon_beerchug:

95custmz 03-02-2010 04:27 AM

I thought it was to look Bad Azz!:icon_pimp:

frontiercat 03-02-2010 08:34 AM

Hmm

I have seen it done in the movies, makes pretty good sense.

What a crappy way to go...

mcb66 03-02-2010 09:39 AM

The Japanese used this technique in WWII on jeeps. My grandfather used a piece of pipe mounted straight up on the front bumper of his jeep to snap the wires. But, originally I think Ape hangers came into fashion as a way of coping with the hard tail frames. They are used to pull yourself up when going over rough roads, pot holes, RR tracks, etc...

Shovelhead Jack 03-02-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mcb66 (Post 6332853)
The Japanese used this technique in WWII on jeeps. My grandfather used a piece of pipe mounted straight up on the front bumper of his jeep to snap the wires. But, originally I think Ape hangers came into fashion as a way of coping with the hard tail frames. They are used to pull yourself up when going over rough roads, pot holes, RR tracks, etc...

Have you ever ridden with ape hangers? You try and pull yourself up with them and you are sure to end up with your bars in your lap.

mimo 03-02-2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack (Post 6332909)
Have you ever ridden with ape hangers? You try and pull yourself up with them and you are sure to end up with your bars in your lap.

True that. If I want to avoid a nasty pot-hole, there are two ways: 1) take your chances with the integrity of the wheels and just step on the foot-boards (if you got 'em), or 2) the side-ways grass-hopper (but I have not tried that since I have the ape hangers).

Mimo.

chop09 03-02-2010 06:41 PM

I never heard that one..... I'm sure they had more to do with style than neck protection, like all most every other mod u make to your ride. Sounds ridicules to me....