Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Vertically Challenged Issue! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/489438-vertically-challenged-issue.html)

DocJ 03-14-2010 09:09 PM

Vertically Challenged Issue!

So, I was reading the "Let's See Your Lowered Softails" thread and got an idea:

My mother is very short 5'2", and can ride nothing but a Sportster. So, she's been splendidly happy with her Nightster and will kick booty if someone dares call it "little". However, we've both looked at the Deluxe and the new Fat Boy Lo. Though she can touch the ground better, either would still need to be lowered signigicantly...this is where that other thread helps. I know it can be done, even when the Harley shop says it can't! Anyway, here's the problem, she still cannot fully access the controls to shift and brake comfortably, and there is no way she'll ever reach that kickstand.

So, here's where I need help. Is there any way to move the controls back? Similar to mid-controls on the Dyna, but not that significant. She just cannot reach floorboard or forward controls. And, any suggestions on moving the kickstand? I know it can be done, I've seen it. But, the controls have my biggest worry.

I think if I could pull this off, it would be a good surprise for my mom...you gotta pay back all those years of childhood, right?

bdavis385 03-14-2010 11:31 PM

Anything can be done. The question is how much and are you willing to pay that price. A good place to begin is sending the seat out to Mean City and have it shaved and good foam put it. Lowered my bikes ride about 2 inches.

gforrest2 03-14-2010 11:53 PM

Did she sit on the Deluxe? I'm embarrassed to say that no one has shorter legs than me (26" inseam), and the Deluxe (stock, not lowered) fits me fine. I don't think the controls are forward at all (compared to say a Night Train or Sportster Custom) and the Deluxe kickstand has that extension added to it that makes it easy to reach.

You must have been a terror as a kid :icon_evil: to think you owe your mom a new Harley.

DocJ 03-15-2010 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by bdavis385 (Post 6401406)
Anything can be done. The question is how much and are you willing to pay that price. A good place to begin is sending the seat out to Mean City and have it shaved and good foam put it. Lowered my bikes ride about 2 inches.

That is definitely something to keep in mind...thanks! However, right now the major issue is figuring out how to get the controls closer...I'm not exactly sure if this is really possible.

Originally Posted by gforrest2 (Post 6401491)
Did she sit on the Deluxe? I'm embarrassed to say that no one has shorter legs than me (26" inseam), and the Deluxe (stock, not lowered) fits me fine. I don't think the controls are forward at all (compared to say a Night Train or Sportster Custom) and the Deluxe kickstand has that extension added to it that makes it easy to reach.

You must have been a terror as a kid :icon_evil: to think you owe your mom a new Harley.

Yes, she has sat on both the Deluxe and the Lo, and neither fit her well. I'm' not sure what her inseam is, but with both of them she is still on the balls of her feet. Judging from her stance, I think either would need to be lowered about an inch...however, I'm thinking 2" drop front and rear would be cool. Mainly, the big issue is that she has to point her toes as much as possible just to reach the shifter and the brake. And, try as she might, she cannot reach the kickstand at all...the floorboards get in the way. All in all, it would make for an overall horribly uncomfortable ride for her. I've looked at going the Dyna route, with mid-controls, but since I traded up to the CrossBones, I think she'd like a softail more. Well, that and it seems to be more difficult to lower a Dyna?

Lol...I'm not sure I was a terror as a kid, but I can say I was spoiled! My mom had bought me my first car AND first motorcycle when I was younger. How many people can say that? So, at this point, I think I owe it back to her. However, my plan would be to assess her degree of enthusiasm regarding the project. I have no qualms funding the project part if she gets the bike...otherwise, I'll be on the lookout for a bike to work on and then surprise her with it later down the road! I think that would make for a good birthday present. At this point, I know she's rather fond of that Nighster, so I'm guessing I'd be on my own for this project. I'm still a little undecided whether to discuss this with her or not...if I didn't, it would definitely be more of a surprise.

harleyheaven 03-15-2010 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by bdavis385 (Post 6401406)

A good seat job can move her lower and forward a couple of inches or more, this would go a long way towards getting closer to the controls. I bet a good seat job and lowering the bike would get the job done. Contact Mean City, couldn't hurt to ask.

gregski 03-15-2010 12:46 AM

Try the Reach seat on it. My wife has it on her Deluxe. It lowers you and moves you forward. With the stock seat she could not flat foot at a stand still. With the seat her feet are flat and knees bent a little. She loves it.

DocJ 03-15-2010 12:51 AM

Sounds good. Does Mean City have a website? I guess I could google it, though...

While we are on the subject, I personally feel like my controls are way too close. I've been told this is just a softail thing, but while I was trying to figure out if I could bring the controls in, could I also take them out? I was pretty comfortable with the forward controls on the FatBob, but love the floorboards on the CrossBones...I just feel like they are rather close. Would a seat change be pretty much the extent of what can be done?

I know...but I am allowed to hijack my own thread...I think.

Anyway, I should have time later this week to call Mean City and see what they say regarding seat adjustments bringing the controls a little closer. My main concern there is that I don't want so much adjustment that my mom would be sitting on the gas tank...not good. lol. From stock, it looks like the controls would need to be a good 2" closer? I can't promise. That would just be my guess. I may have to come up with an excuse to get her to the Harley store and have her sit on one again for fun just to see...When we hang out, she usually doesn't like going to the Harley store with me because I tend to talk with the staff more than I do her...I know, I'm a bad son...

DocJ 03-15-2010 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by gregski (Post 6401625)
Try the Reach seat on it. My wife has it on her Deluxe. It lowers you and moves you forward. With the stock seat she could not flat foot at a stand still. With the seat her feet are flat and knees bent a little. She loves it.

Oh...the Deluxe that my mom had sat on, we were told had a reach seat on it from the factory? How confusing! I will have to look into this some more...it seems some people at the shop know what they are doing, and others simply do not...

Thanks!

harleyheaven 03-15-2010 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by DocJ (Post 6401635)
Sounds good. Does Mean City have a website? I guess I could google it, though...

While we are on the subject, I personally feel like my controls are way too close. I've been told this is just a softail thing, but while I was trying to figure out if I could bring the controls in, could I also take them out? I was pretty comfortable with the forward controls on the FatBob, but love the floorboards on the CrossBones...I just feel like they are rather close. Would a seat change be pretty much the extent of what can be done?

I know...but I am allowed to hijack my own thread...I think.

Anyway, I should have time later this week to call Mean City and see what they say regarding seat adjustments bringing the controls a little closer. My main concern there is that I don't want so much adjustment that my mom would be sitting on the gas tank...not good. lol. From stock, it looks like the controls would need to be a good 2" closer? I can't promise. That would just be my guess. I may have to come up with an excuse to get her to the Harley store and have her sit on one again for fun just to see...When we hang out, she usually doesn't like going to the Harley store with me because I tend to talk with the staff more than I do her...I know, I'm a bad son...

Here ya go! http://www.meancitycycles.com/

DocJ 03-15-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by harleyheaven (Post 6401643)

Sa-Weet! Thanks!