Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Fatboy Speedo won't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Georgesjunk
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Fatboy Speedo won't work

Hi,
I am a first time Harley owner. Took the bike for my first ride, the speedo and trip meter do not work at all. I have pulled the speed sensor and inspected, looks okay. Is there a way to test the speed sensor using an electric meter? Seems likely to me that the sensor is the issue since it is common to the mileage and speed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
George

Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
HDTV1
3rd Gear

Sounds like your accessory fuse blew. 15A fuse. Usually indicates a short somewhere to ground. Check wiring under rear fender. Seems to be a common place for shorts or go back to anything you did recently. Adding lights, controls, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Georgesjunk
Stage IV

I will take a look, I just bought the bike and it is pretty decked out, I have not done any mods yet. But I plan to run the wiring inside the beach bars to tidy the look up a bit.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgesjunk
trip meter do not work at all.
Is it not registering miles, or not coming on like the key is off. If it is not coming on at all and the fuses are OK... you might remove the dash and make sure it is plugged in.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Georgesjunk
Stage IV

I checked all breakers, they are fine, I ensured all lights and other functions work, they are fine as well. The speedo lights up and the mileage shows up, along with the trip meter mileage. It just doesn't show speed or record mileage. I checked the output to the speed sensor and it sends out about 9.5 volts, when the battery has about 12 volts. I pulled the sensor again, plugged it in and with the key on, tried the sensor using a drill with a wood bit to pulse the sensor, still nothing. I do notice that the speedo hums with the key on, not sure if this is normal. Everything is plugged in properly. I sppose the next easy step will be to buy a $90 sensor. I would also like to upgrade the unit to a tach/speedo combo unit, does anyone know if there is one available that will work on a '96.
Thanks for the help

Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Georgesjunk
Stage IV

I figured it out, when it was tied down in the truck, the strap was put around the swing arm and the speed sensor cable was pinched, cutting two of the 3 wires. I saw a small nick in the cable and cut it open. Ended up cutting all wires, soldered them back together and re-wrapped. Working good since.
Thanks for the help.