Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drained gas on bike??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
surf256
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drained gas on bike??

I was trying to get off my tins so I could send them off to get painted. In the process of it I decided I would just cut the fuel line that comes out of the bottom of the fuel tank thinking I had all bolts removed. When I cut the fuel line gas obviousely ran out, I went to take off the tank and I stil had a bolt attached. I ended up having gas run down my bike for a couple minutes until I could find the bolt. I don't know if this is a dumb question but could I have done any damage to any of the area it ran down. It ran from the tank down to the motor, to the foot boards and onto the ground. It pretty much covered the lower end. My girlfriend was spraying it off witht he hose while I was looking for the bolt and after I got the tank off I sprayed it down for a few more minutes. Anyways I don't think I did any harm to the bike but I didn't know if there might be some kind of finish on the engine I might have took off by the gas.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

id say your fine but if it were me id go ahead and wash the bike. When i took my tank off i washed the bike while it was off just to get the areas i couldn't usually get like the frame and the rockerbox covers etc

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i will never do that again!. yep did it too and no fun. it wont hurt the bike. they get worse than that from acid rain.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by surf256
. My girlfriend was spraying it off witht he hose while I was looking for the bolt .
What did Yur GF say afterwords...

Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When i took my tank off i picked up one of those plastic siphon pumps for like kerosene and gas at the local hardware slid the hose in the tank and pumped it down until it was below the cross over tube and then took it off and lifted the tank up and out at an angle good to go..

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't hurt it. Happens to almost everyone who removes their tank eventually.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM
lanceo70
Tourer

Taking the tank off is usually messy anyway. I've taken my tank off so many times that I dont make a mess any more. I just have everything ready before I pull that crossover line.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:18 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKay... you need to get out the sandblaster......

Kidding!!!! I am just kidding!!!! Wash it well with soap and water and you will be fine. Remember, gasoline is very volatile ( in other words, it evaporates real fast) That is what makes it burn and work as a fuel... It will evaporate and leave very little residue. No worries, partner..... Riad safe!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Kramer
Cruiser

Guilty as well....what a freaking mess.I guess we all learn that lesson the hard well.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Hey babe, grab me a beer, I'm almost done here wrenchin' on the HOG. Yeah I know you think I'm cool, just one more min...@!#$% get the hose &%$@ god crap where'sthe wrench %$@#, over there, the $%#@ hose, spray the %$#@ bike off" Classic.

Quick Reply: drained gas on bike??