Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe with harley solo tour-pac

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
ocwoody
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe with harley solo tour-pac

Does anyone have pics or any input about the harley tour pak on in the solo position, and how well it works as a backrest for the rider? Is is ajustable for the backrest, harley info says 3/4 inch. I have search and cannot find any full bike photos with a tour pac on a deluxe. This would be on a 06.

Last edited by ocwoody; 01-24-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
iowarider
Stage II

I checked out that, for me, it didn't hit me in the back where I needed it.
So I found a solo backrest for a Deluxe from Kuryaukin, a little pricey,
but works great and was easy to install. I did have to remove the
backrest pad extension and mount the pad directly on the bar.
Good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a picture of the tourpak (solo) on my wife's 08 Deluxe. It has two settings and this is the most forward position. It doesn't serve her well as a backrest like this but that may be due to her shorter arm reach. We hope to correct that with new bars in the Spring.

Alternately I may drill additional mounting holes in the solo rack. I think I can get an extra inch out of it with no problem.

An extra pad over the existing backrest pad may be somethink else we could look at.

I also have a tourpak on my Heritage and it has served ME quite well as a backrest. Couldn't have done w/o it on my trip to the Cabot Trail from NJ. Since the wife took the solo rack I decided to use the standard 2up rack for mine when on trips. I like the idea of having the extra seat in case we need to go 2up.

I bought a Firehouse Customs backrest for normal riding. I've very pleased with it and it "pushes" me forward about an inch whereas the tourpak leaves you about the same in the seat.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
ocwoody
4th Gear

thanks for the input, This is my wifes 06 Deluxe that I am trying to fit. I have been looking at the firehouse backrest for her as well, she would probably have a reach with the back rest. I am not sure which way it is to go yet. I was wondering if the firehouse back rest would work for her.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ocwoody
thanks for the input, This is my wifes 06 Deluxe that I am trying to fit. I have been looking at the firehouse backrest for her as well, she would probably have a reach with the back rest. I am not sure which way it is to go yet. I was wondering if the firehouse back rest would work for her.

I put the Firehouse Customs backrest on her Deluxe (same one for both). It didn't work for her like it did for me. As I said before it pushes me about an inch forward on the Heritage but it doesn't seem to do that on the Deluxe.

I think the issue is the stock bike just doesn't fit her. (maybe your case too) She's 5'6" but the stock bars seem too far away. A good fitting bike is essential to riding comfort and enjoyment so we're definitely looking at new bars irrespective of the tourpak or backrest. She likes the look of the stock seat with the rail so new handlebars are the next best solution for us to look at.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
ocwoody
4th Gear

I was thinking about new bars also, she doesnt need to be pushed forward any, but would like something to support her back, she has complained of stiffness between her shoulder, I think new bars would probably help that. I dont care much for the deluxe bars myself, when I ride it, but I am used to the Ultra.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

she doesnt need to be pushed forward any, but would like something to support her back
That being the case, the tourpak may serve her well as a backrest. As I said it works fine for me.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Lowes, Pick up two pieces of flat steel bar about 12-14 inches each, Place these on the rack, and move the tour pak forward to where she needs it, and then drill and bolt together. Basically, you are moving the tour pak abd the steel is for supprt on the front end. Don't make them so long as to stick out past the tour pak.

Before assembly, Paint the bars a flat black.

I did this on the wifes 06 deluxe, and now she can use it as a backrest. She is only 5'3" so she needed something to help her out. She also has the springer rail and backrest pad for when she is not running the tour pack.

We also changed out the bars, She is running Stock HERITAGE bars and riser. Gives her a much better fit.

Last edited by Trailfndr; 01-26-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
ocwoody
4th Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions. Trailfndr, noticed the antenna on the pic, looks like the cb antenna from JM I put on the wifes deluxe so we could talk going down the road.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Trailfndr, noticed the antenna on the pic, looks like the cb antenna from JM I put on the wifes deluxe so we could talk going down the road.
Yep, it is the J&M setup. Works great. She also uses it for her MP3 Player so the sound comes thru the same headset.

Quick Reply: Deluxe with harley solo tour-pac